Tillakaratne denies naming former cricketers for match-fixingJune 8th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 8 (IANS) Former Sri Lanka captain Hashan Tillakaratne has denied reports that he had named his former teammates Aravinda de Silva and Sanath Jayasuriya as the players who were involved in match-fixing.
In a statement, Tillakaratne said that he hasn’t named any cricketer during a meeting with President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
“While my wife Apsari Tillakaratne and Rev. Uduwe Dhammaloka also took part with me in a meeting which had been summoned by His Excellency the President to find out about the earlier statement I had made to this assembly, I would like to insist to this august assembly that there was no mention of any player or person at that meeting” Tillakaratne, who is now an opposition UNP member in the Western Provincial Council, stated at a Council meeting Tuesday.
The Daily Mirror reported that Tillakaratne is co-operating with the Sri Lanka Police and International Cricket Council (ICC), who are investigating the allegations made by him.
“The Criminal Investigation Department summoned me twice and I fully co-operated on both occasions. I would like to insist that I am the plaintiff and not the accused in this case. My telephone numbers have been provided to the ICC to let them contact me at any time they want. Sri Lanka Cricket has also provided me with the telephone numbers of the relevant authorities for me to contact them,” Tillakaratne said.
- Hashan should work with ACSU and board to find match-fixing culprits: Sangakkara - May 02, 2011
- Probe Hashan's match-fixing claims: Ehsan Mani - May 07, 2011
- Tillakaratne to submit evidence to ICC - May 03, 2011
- Latif backs Tillakaratne's 'match-fixing charge against Lankans since 1992' claims - May 02, 2011
- Latif backs Tillakaratne on match-fixing claims - May 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Champions Trophy: South Africa put Sri Lanka in to bat - Sep 22, 2009
- Sanath Jayasuriya in "Na Bole Tum...' - Jun 27, 2012
- Lankan cricket board meeting today in wake of match fixing allegations - Apr 30, 2011
- It was an amazing experience: Sanath Jayasuriya - Jul 14, 2012
- Dilshan, Tharanga set World Cup records (Match highlights) - Mar 11, 2011
- Ex-cricketer Tillakaratne alleges match fixing by Lankan cricketers - Apr 29, 2011
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Sports minister rubbishes Tillakaratne's match-fixing allegations (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers will be monitored during England tour - May 18, 2011
Tags: allegations, cricketer, cricketers, criminal investigation department, daily mirror, de silva, hashan tillakaratne, international cricket council, jayasuriya, mahinda rajapaksa, opposition unp, plaintiff, president mahinda rajapaksa, provincial council, relevant authorities, sri lanka cricket, sri lanka police, teammates, telephone numbers, uduwe dhammaloka