Tihar asked to provide medical care to terminally ill prisonersFebruary 19th, 2009 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Thursday asked Tihar jail authorities to provide medial facilities to terminally ill inmates and directed the trial court to wrap up the proceedings against ill inmates at the earliest.
Justice Pradeep Nandrajog expressed concern about the ill inmates after he last week visited India’s largest and high-security jail.
Replying to the court query, the jail authorities said that of 14 inmates who are suffering from HIV/AIDS, one has died, two were acquitted earlier this week, one is out on bail and one is still in jail and his trial is pending in the trial court.
They said the remaining nine inmates’ appeals were pending in the Delhi High Court. The court then asked the registry to check these cases and dispose them of at the earliest.
Earlier the court said: “From the 12 medical records, it was evident that the said 16 terminally ill patients had no more than two to six months to live. These patients require special medical attention which was not available in the jail hospital.”
The court then directed the jail authorities to provide names of all other terminally ill inmates in jail.
- Freedom at last - thanks to state-backed legal aid - Jun 29, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Court seeks medical records of terminally ill Tihar inmates - Feb 16, 2009
- Court notice on plea seeking rules for ill Tihar inmates - Aug 13, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar (Third Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar Jail (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Tihar Jail authorities arbitrary, biased: Report - Jan 19, 2012
- Highlights of judgment on Shivani Bhatnagar murder - Oct 12, 2011
- Court notice on insurance for AIDS patients - May 12, 2011
- Tihar authorities term PUDR report 'false' - Jan 20, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Regulate visas issued to terminally ill patients: Court - Jul 26, 2010
- Court orders better facilities for mentally ill prisoners - Mar 09, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's interim bail plea rejected (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Relief for terminally ill undertrials - Aug 30, 2010