Tigress kills her cubs in Orissa’s Nandankanan zooJanuary 7th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 7 (IANS) Two rare white tiger cubs were killed by their mother in Orissa’s Nandankanan zoo, an official said Wednesday.The two-day-old cubs were found dead by zoo veterinarians Tuesday.
“It was their mother who killed the cubs. Either it was an accident or she killed the cubs deliberately,” a senior official of the zoo told IANS.
He said one of the cubs bore injuries on its tail while the other’s nose was bleeding.
In 2007 also, the 13-year-old tigress gave birth to two cubs and killed them.
After the death of the cubs, the population of tigers in the zoo has come down to 28, of which 11 are white. These include one white cub and three normal coloured cubs.
“Other cubs are in good health and their mothers are caring,” the official said.
Nandankanan zoo is located in Khurdha district, 20 km from here, and spread over an area of 425 hectares.
It houses over 1,200 wild animals and offers a white tiger safari, first of its kind in the world.
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- Odisha orders probe into five tiger cubs' death - Nov 21, 2011
- White tiger succumbs to tumor at Nandankanan zoo - Jan 23, 2012
- Orissa zoo to celebrate tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 19, 2009
- Orissa zoo celebrates tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 20, 2009
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Orissa zoo gets a baby chimpanzee - Oct 14, 2009
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Orissa zoo gears up for birth of chimpanzee - Oct 12, 2009
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Tiger cubs spread joy at Aurangabad zoo (With Image) - Apr 14, 2010
- Two tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore National Park - Apr 25, 2011