Tight security planned for Hazare’s fast SundayDecember 10th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 10 (IANS) A day before Anna Hazare’s day-long fast, Delhi Police said they planned to beef up security at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi Sunday.
Hazare and supporters will stage a token fast to protest the government’s version of the anti-graft Lokpal bill.
“We will beef up security in and around Jantar Mantar (Sunday). Around 1,000 police personnel will be deployed. Apart from this, metal detectors and other arrangements will be made near the stage,” a police officer told IANS.
He said there were no prohibitory orders in the area, therefore, Hazare’s group India Against Corruption (IAC) was allowed to hold the protest for a day. The IAC is the umbrella organisation of Hazare’s anti-graft movement.
“We have no idea about how many people are expected to turn up for the protest. We have told the organisers not to hold a gathering of over 7,000 people as the area could not accommodate more than this number,” said police officer.
Earlier in August, the 74-year-old activist sat on a 12-day fast at Ramlila ground in central Delhi and terminated it only after parliament agreed to frame a stringent anti-graft law.
- No permission yet to Team Anna : MCD - Nov 29, 2011
- Prohibitory orders put question mark on Hazare's fast - Jun 05, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to protest at Jantar Mantar - Aug 02, 2011
- Team Anna shifts protest venue to Rajghat - Jun 07, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to hold protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Police seek details from Team Anna on Ramlila stir - Dec 10, 2011
- Anna breaks one-day token fast - Mar 25, 2012
- Anna likely to protest at Jantar Mantar - Nov 28, 2011
- Hazare attacks Chidambaram - Dec 11, 2011
- Hundreds join car rally for Lokpal - Dec 04, 2011
- Thousands flock to Hazare fast - Dec 11, 2011
- Over Rs.2.6 lakh donated during Anna's fast - Jun 08, 2011
- Security beefed up at Hazare's fast venue - Aug 02, 2012
- Anna gets MCD nod for another hunger strike - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: activist, anna hazare, anti graft law, central delhi, corruption, delhi police, group india, jantar mantar, metal detectors, New Delhi, organisers, parliament, police officer, tight security, umbrella organisation