Tiger skins seized, two held in KeralaFebruary 16th, 2008 - 10:31 pm ICT by admin
Kozhikode (Kerala), Feb 16 (IANS) Kerala forest department officials have seized two tiger skins and arrested two people in Wayanad district. The seizure and arrests took place at Mananthavady and Sulthan Bathery Friday night.
“The tiger skin seized at Bathery is small in size. The tiger may be aged about one year. The other skin is from a 10-year-old tiger. In the market, the tiger skins will fetch around Rs.450,000,” C. Sasikumar, a forest officer who took part in the operation, told IANS Saturday.
Those arrested have been identified as Benny and V.K. Sunil. While Benny was arrested when he was coming on a bike with the tiger skins at Sulthan Bahtery, Sunil was arrested from an automobile workshop in Mananthavady.
“We are yet to ascertain from where they poached the tigers. The skins look fresh. They might have poached the tigers somewhere near here,” he said.
“The probe is on and some more people may be involved,” said another official.
Wayanad district, which is about 600 km from state capital Thiruvananthapuram, shares its border with Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- Three arrested with tiger skins in Chhattisgarh - Apr 20, 2012
- Leopard skin seized in Assam - Apr 06, 2012
- Dead leopard found in jungle warfare campus - Mar 07, 2012
- Chandy expands cabinet, inducts 13 more ministers - May 23, 2011
- 20 wild animal skins seized in Uttarakhand - Jun 04, 2010
- Five poachers arrested in Rajasthan - Jul 26, 2012
- Kerala Police raid offices of radical Muslim group - Jul 13, 2010
- Tigers facing doom in Bangladesh? - Jul 30, 2011
- Many in Kerala still drink water containing endosulphan - Nov 12, 2010
- Poachers held with four deer heads in Bangladesh - Jul 19, 2011
- New Kerala minister Jayalekshmi creates history - May 23, 2011
- Six poachers arrested from Jim Corbett National Park in Rampur - Feb 16, 2011
- Three held with leopard skins - Jul 07, 2010
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011