Tiger skins seized in Haryana, 5 heldJuly 20th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Panipat, July 20 (IANS) Five tiger skins, worth Rs.1.5.crore, were seized from five wildlfe smugglers arrested in this Haryana town, an official said Wednesday.
Working on a tip-off, police laid a trap near the Panipat bus-stand late Tuesday and arrested the five, busting the gang.
“We intercepted a car, which was coming from Delhi side, Tuesday night and made the recovery of tiger skins. One skin is of an adult tiger while four are of cubs. We have also arrested five occupants of the car,” Additional Superintendent of Police Pankaj Nain told IANS.
He said the five revealed that the skins were from from a Delhi-based smuggler Sudarshan alias Bittu and were supposed to be handed to another smuggler in Haryana.
“This gang was active in this region for the last many months. Their interrogation is on and we expect more arrests in the coming days,” Nain said.
The arrested men were identified as Irfan, Pawan (both residents of Delhi), Ashok Kumar, Sunil Gupta and Ram Narayan (from different parts of Haryana).
- Three arms smugglers held in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 07, 2011
- Two arrested with tiger skins in Varanasi - Jun 11, 2011
- Two contract killers arrested in Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- Four held for stealing phones worth Rs.1 crore - Feb 12, 2011
- Punjab Police arrest nine robbers - Jun 24, 2011
- 15,000 pirated CDs, DVDs seized, seven held - Dec 25, 2010
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted, 4 held - Feb 06, 2011
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- Six firearms smugglers arrested after gunfight - Dec 02, 2011
- Tiger poacher arrested in Uttarakhand - Nov 19, 2009
- Two women arrested in Punjab for smuggling tiger skins - Dec 29, 2010
- Haryana police busts gang of highway robbers - May 05, 2012
- Five held with tiger, leopard skins - Feb 09, 2012
- Cocaine seized in Haryana - Mar 01, 2010
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011