Tiger poacher denied bail in Madhya PradeshDecember 5th, 2008 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) A court in Madhya Pradesh Friday rejected the bail application of a notorious tiger poacher who was arrested last week by the forest department, officials said.Dariya, who uses a single name, was arrested on Nov 27 from the Katni railway station following a tip-off by the Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI), an NGO.
The Judicial Magistrate of Katni rejected Dariya’s bail application Friday, a WPSI statement said.
“Earlier, a tiger and a leopard traps, a knife and other poaching equipments were recovered from his possession,” it said.
Dariya has been arrested in a number of wildlife cases before.
In July 2000, he was arrested from his house in Pinjore, Haryana, and the police recovered two leopard skins from his possession. In November 2005, he was arrested again from Katerniaghat wildlife division under Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and poaching equipments were seized from his possession. He served five and a half months in jail in that case, the WPSI said.
After his release from the jail in Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh, Dariya was accused in another case related to a tiger skin seizure in December 2006 on the India-Nepal border. The tiger was thought to have been killed in Bihar’s Valmiki Tiger Reserve. Dariya is still wanted by the authorities in that case, the NGO said.
- Tiger poacher convicted in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 18, 2009
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011
- Tiger poacher arrested in Uttarakhand - Nov 19, 2009
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Leopard poachers get six years' jail - Nov 15, 2010
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (Lead, With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Wildlife smuggler Sansar Chand gets bail - May 31, 2012
- Poacher Sansar Chand faces apex court's wrath - Oct 04, 2010
- Three held with leopard skins - Jul 07, 2010
- Five held with tiger, leopard skins - Feb 09, 2012
- Wildlife activists shocked at jail suspension of Sansar Chand - Sep 25, 2009
- Open core areas of wildlife parks to tourists: Khurshid - Jan 07, 2011
- Web app to keep track of Indian tigers - May 20, 2012