Tiger kills woman in Kanha reserveOctober 7th, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 7 (IANS) A tiger is believed to have killed a middle-aged woman in Kanha Tiger Reserve, an official said Tuesday. “The partially eaten body of a middle-aged woman, Sukhna Bai, was recovered by forest department staff and villagers in the Supkhar range of tiger Reserve Sunday,” additional principal chief conservator of forests (wildlife) H.S. Pabla told IANS by phone.
Sukhna Bai, a resident of village Sukhdi in the Supkhar Range of the Tiger Reserve, went Saturday into the forest to collect leaves to make bowls. But an animal attacked her and dragged her away while she was plucking leaves.
“Other villagers, who accompanied Sukhna Bai, heard her shrieks but could not do anything to help her. They, however, came back and informed the forest department staff which launched search operations Sunday and recovered the body,” Pabla said adding that “pug marks found at the spot suggest that she was killed by a male tiger”.
This is the fourth incident of attack on human beings in the area in the last year and a half. In 2007, three people - one each in May, September and October - were reported killed by wild animals from the same area. Then too, a male tiger was cited to be the animal behind the attacks.
The forest department has announced a compensation of Rs.100,000 for the next of kin of the killed woman.
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Now, annual tiger assessment in every state - May 16, 2011
- Tiger kills 19 year old - Mar 09, 2012
- Man-animal conflict intensifies in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 01, 2011
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Leopard found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 27, 2011
- Controversy dogs translocation of Indian bison - Feb 09, 2011
- Whither 'Sher Khans' of Madhya Pradesh? - Mar 29, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Tiger on the prowl causes scare in Mathura - Oct 05, 2010
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- Tiger found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 12, 2010
- Panna to get two Kanha tiger princesses in December - Nov 24, 2010
- Tiger kills man in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 26, 2010
- Tigress, cubs kill, eat farmer in Yavatmal (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012