Ticket sales for Dhaka-Kolkata train beginApril 10th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by admin
Dhaka, April 10 (IANS) Ticket sales for the India-Bangladesh train - which will resume services April 14 after a gap of 43 years - began here Thursday. Windows opened at the Kamalpur railway station here to sell tickets for the Dhaka-Kolkata Maitree Express. The service will begin April 14 on the occasion of Paila Baishakh, celebrated in India and Bangladesh as Bengali New Year.
The train has got the green signal after months of talks as well as a formal signing of an agreement between a senior official of Bangladesh’s communications ministry and Indian High Commissioner Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty Wednesday.
The train service that used to link Dhaka, the then capital of East Pakistan, with Kolkata, was snapped after India and Pakistan fought a war in 1965.
The Maitree Express will run from the Cantonment station in Dhaka and Chitpur station in Kolkata through the Darshana border.
A train will leave Dhaka for Kolkata every Saturday and return to Dhaka on Sunday. Another train will leave Kolkata every Saturday and will go back on Sunday.
Train fares will be between $8 and $20 for the 538 km journey - 418 km in Bangladesh and 120 km in India.
Elaborate infrastructure, including a customs and immigration centre and fencing to ward off illegal intrusion of men and goods, is ready on the Indian side, but is yet to be put in place by Bangladesh.
- India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree Express - May 09, 2012
- Dhaka-Kolkata Moitree Express to run from April 14 - Apr 03, 2008
- Kolkata-Dhaka Maitree Express cancelled Sept 11-12 - Sep 07, 2010
- Three-year pact for Dhaka-Kolkata train - Apr 09, 2008
- Thousands queue up for train tickets to Dhaka - Apr 11, 2008
- India to expand railway connectivity with Bangladesh - Aug 05, 2010
- India, Bangladesh align rail link in Tripura - Sep 08, 2010
- Bangladesh-India ties on right track: Minister - Feb 27, 2012
- Dhaka-Kolkata friendship train may start mid-April - Mar 21, 2008
- With Mamata out, four CMs to accompany PM to Dhaka - Sep 05, 2011
- India, Bangladesh to set up 'border haats' for trade - Jun 21, 2010
- Dhaka-Kolkata train to start from April 14 - Apr 09, 2008
- India to improve rail-road links to Bangladesh: Officials - Dec 06, 2010
- Indian national security advisor visits Dhaka - Aug 29, 2011
- Thousands queue up for train to Bangladesh - Apr 12, 2008