Tibetans protest as Wen arrivesDecember 15th, 2010 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Hundreds of young and elderly Tibetans protested noisily here Wednesday demanding freedom for Tibet as Chinese Premier Wen Jiabo arrived on a three-day visit to India.Carrying hand-written placards and waving Tibetan flags, the Tibetans gathered outside the Parliament Street police station in the heart of the city.
“Free Tibet Wen, Free Tibet Now” was one of the placards carried by the protesters, who kept a steady chant of slogans in Hindi and English.
The protesters also raised slogans against Wen, who is to hold talks with Indian leaders before heading to Pakistan.
The Tibetans have vowed to stage demonstrations outside the Chinese embassy as well but police have imposed prohibitory orders in the area to block the gathering of five or more people.
India is home to the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and about 100,000 Tibetan exiles. Many of them fled to India with the Dalai Lama in 1959 after the failure of an anti-Communist uprising.
The Dalai Lama’s government-in-exile is based in the northern Indian town of Dharamsala. It is not recognised by any country.
- Tibetans protest as Wen begins India visit (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- 30 Tibetans detained for protesting Wen's visit - Dec 16, 2010
- Dharamsala calm as Chinese Premier arrives in India - Dec 15, 2010
- Anti-China protest by Tibetans stopped - Mar 10, 2012
- Free Tibet, Our Right: Tibetan exiles - Nov 11, 2011
- Free political prisoners in Tibet: Italian MPs - Mar 11, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- A year since Dalai Lama's historic transition - Mar 08, 2012
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Chinese influx eroding Tibetan culture: US report - Apr 01, 2011
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- UN recognises grim situation in Tibet: Sangay - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: chant, chinese embassy, communist uprising, dalai lama, demonstrations, dharamsala, exile, free tibet, heart of the city, indian leaders, New Delhi, parliament, parliament street, protesters, slogans, street police station, tibetan exiles, tibetan flags, tibetan spiritual leader, wen jiabo