Tibetans in exile protest against Beijing OlympicsAugust 8th, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Aug 8 (IANS) Thousands of Tibetans living in exile here in Himachal Pradesh took to the streets Friday, protesting against the Beijing Olympics that took off to a spectacular start. The protesters, comprising schoolchildren, youth and monks, raised slogans while holding placards and banners to show solidarity with the Tibetans in Tibet. Most of the protesters wore black clothes, headbands and T-shirts calling for a “Free Tibet”.
“This is a way of expressing solidarity with our people in Tibet who are facing a lot of problems under the Chinese leadership,” said Lobsang, an activist of the Gu Chu Sum, an NGO fighting for the cause of Tibetan.
A number of foreigners also joined the demonstrations.
The other NGOs that participated in the protest included the National Democratic Party of Tibet, the Students for a Free Tibet and the Ex-Political Prisoners’ Movement of Tibet.
Contrary to these protests, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama had Tuesday sent his good wishes to the Chinese government for the success of the Olympics.
“I would like to offer my greetings to the People’s Republic of China and the athletes… This is a proud moment for the 1.3 billion Chinese people,” a statement issued by the Tibetan government-in-exile quoted him as saying.
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- UN recognises grim situation in Tibet: Sangay - Mar 24, 2012
- Tibet's unique culture in peril, says PM-in-exile - Oct 19, 2011
- Address grievances of Tibetans, US tells China - Sep 28, 2011
- Tibetans in exile protest against China in Dharamsala - Apr 24, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Tibetans protest as Wen begins India visit (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- Exiles seek UN intervention in Tibet - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
- Eighth Tibetan sets himself on fire in southwestern China - Oct 16, 2011
- End repression in Tibet: Amnesty - Sep 29, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Tibetan monk dies after setting himself on fire in China protest - Aug 15, 2011