Tibetans-in-exile celebarate Dalai Lama’s birthdayJuly 6th, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 6 (IANS) Tibetans-in-exile celebrated the 73rd birthday of their spiritual leader Dalai Lama here Sunday. People from different walks of life offered prayers for his long life at the official function organised at Mcleodganj, 20 km from here.
This time due to anti-China protests in Tibet, the function did not include any singing and dance programmes in the celebrations.
Tibet flared up with protests and violence March 10, which marked the 49th anniversary of a failed uprising against Chinese rule.
Instead, the gathering saw and participated in an extended prayer session for the Dalai Lama, Tibet and world peace.
It was attended by ministers of the Tibetan government-in-exile and Prime Minister Samdhong Rinpoche.
Congress legislator from Arunachal Pradesh T.G. Rompuche was also present.
However, the Tibetan temporal head did not attend the function, his secretary Tenzin Takhla told IANS.
The Dalai Lama was born July 6, 1935, in a hamlet at Takster in Tibet. He has lived in India since 1959, heading a government-in-exile that is based in this hill town of Himachal Pradesh. The government-in-exile is not recognised by any country in the world.
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama joins prayers over Tibetan monastery stand-off - Apr 26, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Lobsang Sangay is Kalon Tripa, to carry on Tibetan legacy (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Exiled Tibetans get a young PM in Lobsang Sangay (Night Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Ready to negotiate with China, says new Tibetan leader - Jun 18, 2011
- New Tibetan PM to assume office Aug 8 - Jul 25, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama reverses 350-year-old tradition - May 30, 2011
- 'Without Dalai Lama, legitimacy would be a problem' - Mar 10, 2011