Tibetans hold prayers for Arunachal chief ministerMay 5th, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, May 5 (IANS) Hundreds of Tibetan exiles Thursday assembled in this Himachal Pradesh town for a special prayer service for Dorjee Khandu, the Arunachal Pradesh chief minister, who, along with four others, died in a helicopter crash.
The prayer service, organised by the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), was held at the hill-top Tsuglagkhang temple close to the official palace of the Dalai Lama at McLeodganj.
A CTA spokesperson told IANS that the Namgyal monastery’s abbot led the prayer service which was attended by hundreds of Tibetans. “They prayed for the well-being of the late chief minister’s family and others who died in the accident.”
However, the Dalai Lama was not present here as he was away to the US.
The Tibetan parliament-in-exile in a condolence message Wednesday, said: “The state of Arunachal Pradesh and the Tibetan people have had historical relationship, which was further strengthened and deepened during the tenure of Khandu’s chief ministership.”
The Nobel laureate had visited Arunachal at the invitation of Khandu in November 2009. He inaugurated a hospital there for which he contributed Rs.2 million.
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Tibetan exiles remember late Arunachal chief minister - May 26, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's death mourned - May 04, 2011
- We lost dear friend Khandu, say Tibetans - May 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu's death - May 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama prays for safe return of Khandu - May 01, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama prays for Leh, Tibet cloudburst victims - Aug 14, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- Losar will be a muted in McLeodganj this year - Feb 18, 2012
- Go vegan for ritual: Tibetan government-in-exile - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: abbot, central tibetan administration, chief minister, chief ministership, condolence message, cta, dalai lama, exile, helicopter crash, mcleodganj, namgyal monastery, nobel laureate, prayer service, prayers, special prayer, spokesperson, state of arunachal pradesh, tenure, tibetan exiles, tibetan parliament