Tibetans are close to Norwegians: Dalai LamaJuly 24th, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 24 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama condoled the deaths of over 90 people in Norway, saying the Tibetans have a “close connection” with Norwegians.
The Dalai Lama expressed his sadness and shock on learning of the tragedy, an official statement Sunday said.
A bomb blast Friday rocked the Norwegian capital Oslo killing seven people. Later in a shooting spree, a right-wing Christian, identified as Anders Behring Breivik, killed at least 85 people at a youth camp in Utoya Island.
In a letter to Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg dated July 23, the Dalai Lama conveyed his prayers for those who had lost their lives and to the bereaved families as well as those affected by these “dastardly acts of senseless violence”.
He expressed his “solidarity with the Prime Minister and the people of Norway with whom the Tibetans have a special and close connection”.
Breivik, 32, confessed to the shooting spree and police suspect that he engineered the bomb attack as well.
The Dalai Lama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 in Oslo.
- Norway remembers Oslo, Utoeya victims - Jul 22, 2012
- India condemns 'senseless' violence in Norway - Jul 24, 2011
- Norway gunman says he acted alone (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Gunman kills 85 at Norwegian youth camp, blast kills 7 in Oslo - Jul 24, 2011
- PM condemns 'senseless' Oslo violence - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway holds memorial for twin attack victims - Aug 22, 2011
- Norway killing suspect may get 21 years in jail (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Italian lawmaker apologises for backing Breivik ideology (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Nightmare in Norway: One man's madness kills 91 (Evening Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- It's an attack on democratic values: Norwegian minister (Interview) - Jul 23, 2011
- Suspect confesses to Norwegian camp mass killing - Jul 24, 2011
- Breivik's copycat held in Czech Republic - Aug 19, 2012
- Norwegian killer sentenced to 21 years in prison - Aug 24, 2012
- Norway killer's dad wants to publish book about son - Aug 02, 2012
- It was gruesome but necessary, says Norway attacker - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: behring, bereaved families, bomb attack, bomb blast, close connection, dalai lama, dharamsala, jens stoltenberg, nobel peace prize, norwegian capital, norwegian prime minister, norwegians, oslo, people of norway, right wing, sadness, senseless violence, shooting spree, solidarity, tibetan spiritual leader