Tibetan youth who immolated himself crematedMarch 30th, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, March 30 (IANS) Thousands of Tibetan exiles gathered in this Himachal town Friday for the funeral of a man who immolated himself earlier this week in Delhi demanding freedom for Tibet.
Tawu Jamphel Yeshi’s coffin was placed in the morning at the hilltop Tsuglagkhang temple near the official palace of the Dalai Lama, where a mass prayer meeting was held.
Yeshi, a member of the Tibetan Youth Congress, immolated himself Monday to protest the visit of Chinese President Hu Jintao to India. He succumbed to burn injuries Wednesday.
Later, the body was taken to a local crematorium where the last rites were performed according to traditional Tibetan Buddhist custom.
The pyre was lit by a senior member of the TYC, the largest Tibetan pro-independence group in exile.
The prayer session was addressed, among others, by parliament speaker Penpa Tsering.
“Hu Jintao is responsible for two more deaths since he came to India. The question is how many more Tibetan lives has to be lost before the issue of Tibet is resolved,” asked Tsering.
A statement of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) said it’s saddened to learn of the self-immolation by a young Tibetan in Ngaba in northeastern Tibet March 28.
“We urge the Chinese leadership to heed the recommendations of the international community on its counter-productive policies and address the problem of Tibet through dialogue,” said Dicki Chhoyang, CTA minister for information and international relations.
Since 2009, 31 Tibetans have set themselves on fire calling for freedom and the return of the Dalai Lama to his homeland.
Nearly six million Tibetans live in Tibet while over 150,000 live in other countries, most of them in India.
- Tibetan who died to be cremated in Dharamsala - Mar 29, 2012
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- Tibetan who died pleads for freedom - Mar 28, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Losar will be a muted in McLeodganj this year - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama not inciting self-immolations' - Mar 26, 2012
- International community apprised on Tibetans' plight - Oct 23, 2011
- Unrest in Tibet: Exiles seeks global intervention - Feb 06, 2012
- China says Dalai Lama stoking extremist views - Mar 29, 2012
- Protestor's immolation attempt brings Tibetans together - Mar 27, 2012
- Attempted self-immolation by Tibetan against Hu Jintao's visit (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: central tibetan administration, chinese leadership, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, dalai lama, dicki, hu jintao, independence group, mass prayer, northeastern tibet, parliament speaker, penpa tsering, prayer meeting, prayer session, president hu jintao, self immolation, tibetan buddhist, tibetan exiles, tibetan youth congress, yeshi