Tibetan spiritual leader rescued, airlifted to Leh (Lead)September 21st, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Sep 21 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader Karmapa Ugyen Trinley Dorjee, who was stranded along with 13 of his followers in Himachal Pradesh’s Lahaul and Spiti district for 48 hours due to heavy snowfall, was rescued and airlifted to Leh in Jammu and Kashmir Sunday, an official said.”The 17th Karmapa was rescued this (Sunday) evening from Baralacha pass in Lahaul and Spiti district and airlifted to Leh by a helicopter of the Indian Air Force,” secretary (revenue) Rakesh Kaushal told IANS.
The Baralacha pass is located at a height of 4,883 metres on the 475-km-long Manali-Leh highway.
“Before the rescue, the administration air-dropped blankets and eatables for the Buddhists and other stranded passengers on Baralacha pass,” he said.
“The Karmapa is fine and in good health,” said Kaushal, who is part of the disaster management committee set up the state government after the torrent rain and snowfall.
The Karmapa, the only major monk reincarnate recognised by both the Dalai Lama and China, has been on a religious tour to Buddhist-dominated areas in Lahaul and Spiti district as well as in Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir since Sep 8.
“He was on his way to monasteries in Lahaul and Spiti from Ladakh when he was held up on the Manali-Leh highway Friday,” Lahaul and Spiti Superintendent of Police Prem Kumar Thakur said.
The Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu School, which is one of the four sects of Buddhism. He is considered the third most important Tibetan religious head after the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama.
The Karmapa fled Tibet and sought refuge in India some eight years ago. Ever since, he has mostly lived in the Gyuto Tantric monastery in Sidhbari near Dharamsala - the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile that is not recognised by any country.
- Tibetan spiritual leader rescued in Himachal Pradesh - Sep 21, 2008
- Dalai Lama gives sermon at Nyingma Monastery in Manali - Aug 22, 2010
- Rescued Tibetan spiritual leader reaches Delhi - Sep 24, 2008
- ITBP personnel stranded in Himachal - Sep 03, 2009
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Boy monk gets ceremonial welcome in Spiti - Sep 14, 2011
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Tibetan spiritual leader to reach Delhi Wednesday - Sep 23, 2008
- Manali-Leh highway reopened, 282 people rescued (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Manali-Leh road link may be used round-the-year - Jun 26, 2010
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011