Tibetan spiritual leader in Bodh Gaya for religious ceremoniesDecember 11th, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Dec 11 (IANS) Tibetan spiritual leader the Karmapa Lama is in Bodh Gaya in Bihar to participate in month-long religious ceremonies, his aides said Thursday.”The 17th Karmapa, Ugyen Trinley Dorjee, reached Bodh Gaya’s Tergar Monastery last evening (Wednesday). He will deliver discourses and participate in ceremonies there,” Gonpo Tsering, secretary to the spiritual leader, told IANS.
This is the Karmapa’s first visit outside the Gyuto Tantric monastery in Sidhbari near Dharamsala - the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile - after he was rescued along with 30 followers from snowbound Himachal Pradesh’s Lahaul and Spiti district on Sep 21.
“The Karmapa will stay in Tergar Monastery till Jan 15 and then he will proceed to Sarnath before returning to Sidhbari,” Tsering said.
The Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu School, which is one of the four sects of Buddhism. He is considered the third most important Tibetan religious head after the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama.
The Karmapa fled Tibet and sought refuge in India some eight years ago. Ever since, he has mostly lived in the Gyuto Tantric monastery.
- Karmapa begins annual spring teachings at Sarnath - Mar 10, 2011
- Karmapa's monastery raided, aide arrested - Jan 27, 2011
- Karmapa ready for discourse, gets backing of Buddhist teacher - Mar 04, 2011
- Karmapa not a Chinese spy, says Beijing - Jan 31, 2011
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- Karmapa's cash links should be fully probed: Dalai Lama (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- Himachal to drop charges against Karmapa (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Rs.6 crore currency seized from Karmapa's monastery - Jan 28, 2011
- Himachal court summons Karmapa over currency row - Feb 16, 2012
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- Karmapa's office hands over $150,000 to ED - Mar 19, 2011
- Karmapa not to appear in Himachal court, says aide - Mar 06, 2012
- Himachal to drop charges against Karmapa (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- I am not a Chinese spy: Karmapa - May 02, 2011