Tibetan minister to launch awareness drive in NortheastMarch 25th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, March 25 (IANS) The home minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile, Gyari Dolma is expected to kick start a campaign for the cause of Tibetan independence in Guwahati Monday.
Dolma, who is based in Dharamsala, will arrive here for the first time and she is also likely to participate in a seminar on the theme “Tibet and the Himalayan Environment & Ecology”. The seminar is being organized by the North East Regional unit of the Core Group for the Tibetan Cause.
“Our objective is to raise public awareness over the issue of the Tibetan cause in this part of the country. Besides the fact that there are several Tibetan refugees in Northeastern India, Tibet is very important for the people of the Northeast. Anything that happens in Tibet will have a direct impact on India’s Northeast,” said R.K. Khrimey, NE Regional convener of the Core Group.
“While Dolma will kick start the campaign here tomorrow (Monday), we are looking forward to set up the Tibet support group in each state of the Northeast region,” Khrimey added.
Khrimey hoped that public awareness about the Tibetan cause will mount pressure on the international community and the Indian government to facilitate meaningful dialogue between the government of the People’s Republic of China and the Tibetan Government-in- Exile.
- Tibetan activists launch signature campaign - Apr 24, 2012
- India should be careful in dealing with China: Dolma - Mar 26, 2012
- Campaign on Tibet planned in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- Tibetan cabinet blend of old, new faces - Sep 16, 2011
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- Tibetan government allocates portfolios - Sep 19, 2011
- UN help sought over repression in Tibet - Apr 15, 2011
- Six to compete for Miss Tibet title - May 28, 2011
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Harvard scholar is frontrunner for Tibetan PM-in-exile - Nov 12, 2010
- Sangay concerned over unrest in Tibet - Jun 02, 2012
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile (Lead) - Sep 19, 2011
- Dolma announces candidature for Tibetan prime minister poll - Aug 06, 2010
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Tibetan monk dies after setting himself on fire in China protest - Aug 15, 2011
Tags: amp, convener, core group, dolma, guwahati, home minister, indian government, march 25, meaningful dialogue, northeastern india, objective, public awareness, regional unit, republic of china, tibet support group, tibetan cause, tibetan government in exile, tibetan independence, tibetan refugees