Tibetan exiles take out silent protestFebruary 24th, 2009 - 11:58 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, Feb 24 (IANS) Hundreds of Tibetan exiles Tuesday took out a silent protest here on the eve of Losar (Tibetan New Year).
“The exiles participated in the peaceful protest to express solidarity with our brethren who sacrificed their lives for rights of the people of Tibet,” said president of the Tibetan Youth Congress (TYC) Tsewang Rigzin.
The TYC has more than 30,000 members across the globe and China has labelled it as a “terrorist organisation”.
“Our aim was to highlight the plight of people of Tibet and the ruthless crackdown last year which resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Tibetans and thousands imprisoned,” he said.
He said the TYC will burn effigies of Chinese leaders in the coming days.
“We will burn effigies of Chinese President Hu Jintao and Mao Zedong, who invaded Tibet in 1949, in the days to come,” he said.
Meanwhile, the police have made elaborate arrangements to prevent any untoward incident in the town on Tibetan New Year.
“We have made arrangements to counter any unwanted incident during this New Year,” Kangra Superintendent of Police Atul Kumar Fulzele said.
China brands the spiritual head of Tibetan community, the Dalai Lama, a separatist and accuses him of being behind anti-China protests that followed violence during the Beijing Olympics.
The Buddhist monk denies the charge.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Losar will be a muted in McLeodganj this year - Feb 18, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Dharamsala calm as Chinese Premier arrives in India - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibetans fined for unauthorised protest - Feb 25, 2012
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- RSS leader urges China to stop atrocities on Tibetans - Apr 22, 2011
- Tibetan exiles not to celebrate new year - Feb 08, 2009
- Dharamsala calm as Wen arrives in India (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tibet situation grim, needs global intervention, say exiles - Feb 24, 2012
- Find reincarnations of Mao, Deng: Dalai Lama - Oct 30, 2011
- Tibetans exiles take out candlelight march in Dharamsala against China - Mar 06, 2010
- 'Shun Tibetan New Year celebrations' - Feb 03, 2012
- Tibetans urged not to celebrate New Year - Feb 20, 2012
- Rigzin re-elected President of Tibet Youth Congress - Aug 09, 2010
- Tibetan group supports Dalai Lama's decision to retire - Mar 19, 2011