Tibetan exiles remember late Arunachal chief ministerMay 26th, 2011 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, May 26 (IANS) The Tibetan parliament-in-exile Thursday described late Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Dorjee Khandu as a “faithful friend and supporter of the Dalai Lama and Tibet’s struggle for justice”.
Khandu and four others - two pilots, a personal security officer, and the sister of the Tawang legislator - were killed in the chopper crash April 30. The bodies were retrieved from the crash site at Lobotang near the 13,700 feet Sela Pass in Tawang district May 5 after intense search operations.
“Khandu was a faithful friend who supported and took interest in the Tibetan people’s quest for justice and their democratic polity. Moreover, he was a person of great merit owing to his utmost devotion and respect to His Holiness,” the parliament said in a resolution.
“On behalf of the Tibetan people both in and outside Tibet, the parliament-in-exile admire his achievements… we offer our prayers for his noble rebirth,” it noted.
The Nobel laureate had visited Tawang at the invitation of Khandu in November 2009. He inaugurated a hospital there, for which he contributed Rs.2 million.
The three-day special session of parliament began Thursday in this Himachal Pradesh town, where the Tibetan government-in-exile headed by the Dalai Lama is based.
The session was convened to discuss and amend the Tibetan Charter that would allow the smooth transition of political powers from the Dalai Lama to the elected leadership.
- Dalai Lama saddened over Khandu's death - May 07, 2011
- We lost dear friend Khandu, say Tibetans - May 06, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's death mourned - May 04, 2011
- Tibetans hold prayers for Arunachal chief minister - May 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama to retire, make way for elected leader (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's message read in Tibetan parliament-in-exile - Mar 14, 2011
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's plea for retiring will be discussed Tuesday (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Tibetan parliament-in-exile proposes charter amendments (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Exiled Tibetan Parliament wants Dalai Lama to stay - Mar 15, 2011
- Parliament-in-exile concerned over atrocities in Tibet - Sep 16, 2011
- Exiles ask BRICS to raise Tibet with Hu - Mar 28, 2012
- Dalai Lama formally relinquishes political powers - May 30, 2011
Tags: chief minister, crash site, dalai lama, democratic polity, faithful friend, himachal pradesh, holiness, intense search, legislator, nobel laureate, personal security, rebirth, search operations, security officer, smooth transition, special session, tibet, tibetan exiles, tibetan government in exile, tibetan parliament