Tibetan exiles in Nepal launch fresh protests, scores arrestedMay 11th, 2008 - 6:25 am ICT by admin
Kathmandu, May 11 (DPA) Nepalese police Saturday arrested scores of Tibetan protestors who had chained themselves in small groups and tried to march towards Chinese visa and consular office in Kathmandu. It was the third straight day the Tibetans were involved in protests in front of the building which also houses consular section and Xinhua news agency.
And for the third straight day, Nepalese police arrested scores of demonstrators.
“Police detained nearly 130 Tibetan demonstrators after they tried to break the police line and move towards the Chinese visa office,” Kathmandu police office said.
“Police had difficulties detaining them as small group of about 20 protestors had chained themselves together.”
Witnesses said several groups of protestors who had bound themselves in chains had repeatedly made attempts to march towards the Chinese office. Most detainees were expected to released later Saturday.
Tibetans have been involved in protests around the UN and Chinese embassy in Kathmandu since March 10, calling for a free Tibet and UN investigations into the recent troubles in Lhasa.
Protestors have managed to slip into the UN offices at least on two occasions to deliver their memorandum.
Tibetan protest organizers say they will continue their protests until their demands are met, despite a Nepalese police crackdown.
Nepal, which shares a long border with Tibet, says it recognises it as a part of China and will not tolerate anti-Chinese activities in Nepal.
- Tibetans hold anti-China protests in Nepal despite crackdown - Mar 10, 2010
- Nepal frees Dalai Lama's envoy but threat deepens - Aug 06, 2011
- Tibetan refugees dying 'by a thousand cuts' in Nepal - Jun 19, 2010
- Protestor's immolation attempt brings Tibetans together - Mar 27, 2012
- Tibet situation grim, needs global intervention, say exiles - Feb 24, 2012
- Anti-China protest by Tibetans stopped - Mar 10, 2012
- Nepal's apex court comes to Tibetan refugees' aid - Sep 23, 2011
- Tibet situation volatile amid Chinese crackdown on dissidents, say exiles (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Nepal braces for Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations - Jul 02, 2011
- 11 Tibetans trying to gatecrash BRICS summit venue detained - Mar 29, 2012
- UN envoy shows support for Tibetan refugees in Nepal - Feb 14, 2011
- Journalists banned from entering Tibet: Media organisation - Feb 28, 2012
- Seven more Tibetan protestors arrested - Mar 30, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- China cuts Tibet-Nepal links ahead of uprising anniversary - Mar 09, 2010