Tibetan exiles asks China to release Panchen LamaApril 26th, 2008 - 7:47 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, April 26 (IANS) A day after the 11th Panchen Lama turned nineteen, Tibetan exiles have demanded his immediate release from Chinese captivity, a spokesman of the Tibetan government-in-exile said here Saturday. “Tibetans have sent memorandums to the Chinese government and the UN asking for the release of Gedun Chokyi Nyima, who has been recognised by the Dalai Lama as the 11th Panchen Lama,” said Samdhong Rinpoche, prime minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
“Thousands of Tibetans here and in other parts of India marked Friday with prayer meetings and candle light vigils celebrating the Panchen Lama’s birthday,” he said.
The Tibetan prime minister said: “We must firmly hold on to our beliefs, for the day when the Panchen Lama will return to his seat at Tashi Lhunpo monastery.”
“The Panchen Lama was last seen in May 1995, barely days after the Dalai Lama proclaimed him as the Panchen Lama. We believe he is under house arrest along with his family at a place close to Beijing,” said a spokesman of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
“Despite repeated appeals of visiting foreign delegations, no international agency or human rights organisation has been given permission to meet him to verify his well being,” the official said.
“The Chinese foreign ministry said last year that the Panchen Lama was ‘leading a normal life and free life and does not want to be disturbed’,” the official claimed.
The Tibetan government-in-exile is based out of Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh and is not recognised by any country.
- Tibetan government-in-exile expresses faith in Karmapa - Mar 11, 2011
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Buddhist Monastic Institute in Gopalpur near Dharamsala - Sep 12, 2010
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Tibetans committed to struggle: PM of government-in-exile - Mar 11, 2011
- Dalai Lama joins prayers over Tibetan monastery stand-off - Apr 26, 2011
- New Tibetan PM to assume office Aug 8 - Jul 25, 2011
- Tibetan PM-elect interacting with exiles to understand issues - May 16, 2011
- Tibetan polls a money-spinning affair - Mar 15, 2011
- US envoy meets Dalai Lama, discusses dialogue with China (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Tibetan leaders urge China to allow international group to meet detained Panchen Lama - Apr 25, 2010
- Ready to negotiate with China, says new Tibetan leader - Jun 18, 2011
- Exiled Tibetans get a young PM in Lobsang Sangay (Night Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Without Dalai Lama, legitimacy would be a problem' - Mar 10, 2011
- Exiled Tibetan Govt. expresses happiness over foreign secretary's visit - Jul 12, 2010
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011