Tibet to seek ideas for tourism revivalAugust 25th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lhasa, Aug 25 (Xinhua) The authorities in Tibet said Monday they would hold a forum to seek ideas for reviving the region’s tourism sector, which has been severely hit following the March 14 disturbances. A Tibet Tourism Bureau official said the forum scheduled for Saturday in the regional capital, Lhasa, would host more than 100 experts, scholars and domestic travel agencies.
In the first half of 2008, the region saw 340,000 tourist arrivals, down 69 percent from the same period last year.
Tourism almost came to a standstill after the March 14 violence, which led to the deaths at least 18 civilians and one policeman, with businesses looted and residences, shops and vehicles torched.
The region re-opened to domestic tour groups April 24, followed by visitors from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan in May and foreign tour groups from June 25.
The regional government has been struggling to boost the industry through subsidies and bonuses.
Gyangkar, the Lhasa City Tourism Bureau chief, said last week the city government had set aside one million yuan ($142,857) in the hope of reviving tourism.
Under the scheme, which runs from Aug 15 to Dec 30, a travel agency can get 50,000 yuan for organising a charter flight with at least 100 overseas tourists or for organising a 600-person train tour.
- First five-star hotel opens in Tibet - May 28, 2011
- China plans to protect Tibetan cultural relics - Mar 02, 2012
- Tibet virtually again out of bounds, say exiles - Jun 09, 2012
- China restricts foreigners from visiting Tibet - Mar 08, 2011
- Tibet expects 15 mn tourists by 2015 - Jan 15, 2011
- Tibet tourism park to honour ancient princess - Jul 09, 2012
- Tibet draws over 6mn tourists this year - Sep 13, 2011
- Ancient Tibetan scripture found in Lhasa - Jun 14, 2012
- Tibet to re-open to foreign tourists Wednesday - Jun 24, 2008
- China to have tourism law - Aug 27, 2012
- Tibet to re-open to foreign tourists from Wednesday - Jun 25, 2008
- 27 countries take part in Indian travel mart - Feb 25, 2012
- China celebrates Tourism Day - May 20, 2012
- India needs to streamline visa, infrastructure to tap tourism potential: Experts - Feb 12, 2012
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012