Three-year-old girl rescued from bore well shaftMarch 26th, 2008 - 11:31 pm ICT by admin
Agra, March 26 (IANS) Three-year-old Vandana, who fell into a 50-foot deep bore well shaft in a village near here, was pulled out of the pit late Wednesday after daylong rescue efforts. Vandana, from Tehra village in Saiyan block of Agra, fell into the uncovered cylindrical pit near her home Tuesday evening.
Army personnel, police and fire brigade experts worked hard throughout the day to save the girl, who was provided with glucose, oranges and oxygen in the well. She was pulled out after rescuers dug a parallel pit nearly 10 feet away from the bore well.
“The biggest problem was that the soil is not stable, it is sandy and easily caves in. We had to, therefore, inch forward carefully, picking up the scooped mud without causing a tremor or vibrations,” an army official said.
Nightfall only added to the difficulties of the rescue teams, as the child reportedly sank a good two feet deeper down the pit.
Little Vandana’s cries could be heard continuously, indicating that she was alive, Senior Superintendent of Police Neera Rawat had said earlier.
The three-year-old’s mother and thousands of villagers prayed for her life through the day, while many other sat atop walls, keenly watching the rescue efforts.
Crew of several TV channels had also descended on this small village, tracking every move of the army and police officials.
An ambulance with a panel of doctors was stationed at the site, ready to take Vandana to Agra for medical examination as soon as she was rescued, an official said.
Less than two years ago, in July 2006, another five-year-old boy, named Prince, had fallen into a nearly 60-ft deep shaft near his home in Shahbad in Kurukshetra, Haryana. Little Prince survived the ordeal after the army rescued him after rescue operations that stretched beyond two full days.
A parallel tunnel was dug up from a dried up well alongside the shaft to rescue Prince after almost 50 hours.
- Three-year-old rescued from borewell in Gurdaspur, dies in hospital - Jun 03, 2010
- Three-year-old rescued from bore well, rushed to hospital - Mar 26, 2008
- Five-year-old falls into borewell near Jaipur, rescue work on - Nov 09, 2009
- Four-year-old girl rescued from borewell - Jun 21, 2009
- Four-year-old falls into borewell, rescue work on - Jun 21, 2009
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Two-year-old toddler falls into borewell in Andhra - Jan 18, 2010
- Rescuers in Agra battle to save a child from 150 feet deep narrow well - Oct 10, 2008
- Four-year-old falls into borewell in Bijapur, rescue work on - Sep 01, 2009
- Efforts to save two-year-old boy from borewell suffers set back - Oct 12, 2008
- Rescue efforts, prayers for girl trapped in shaft - Mar 26, 2008
- Efforts fail to rescue toddler from Andhra borewell (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Three-year-old girl trapped in 50-ft shaft - Mar 26, 2008
- Boy rescued safely from borewell in Maharashtra (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Other incidents of toddlers being rescued - Jun 23, 2012