Three year jail term for former government engineerApril 11th, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 11 (IANS) A court here Saturday handed a three year jail term to a former chief engineer of Chandigarh in a decade-old disproportionate assets case but later granted him bail to enable him appeal the verdict.
The special court of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) also fined K.K. Jerath, who was dismissed from service in March 1999, Rs.50,000 and ordered the confiscation of his property worth Rs.5.7 million (Rs.57 lakh).
However, the court later granted bail to Jerath on furnishing a bond of Rs.50,000.
The case against Jerath was registered in January 1998 after the income tax department conducted a raid at his residence in November 1997. During the raid, over Rs.1.1 million cash, gold jewellery and property documents were found in his possession.
Curiously enough, a CBI team that later raided Jerath’s residence, found cash and documents relating to property, totally valued at over Rs.9 million (Rs. 90 lakh).
The defence counsel argued that Jerath’s wife ran music tuition classes and he also got monetary help from his father-in-law to supplement his income.
- Ex-judge gets bail in cash-in-bag case - Aug 27, 2011
- Cash-in-bag scam: Ex-judge told to appear in trial court - Aug 19, 2011
- High court dismisses ex-judge's plea against prosecution - Nov 14, 2011
- Bihar to confiscate BJP lawmaker's assets - Feb 04, 2012
- Yeddyurappa seeks anticipatory bail as CBI raids continue (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
- CBI arrests top Punjab functionary on corruption charges - May 05, 2011
- Anti-corruption raids of officials yields crores - Jan 13, 2012
- Richie rich: Punjab's millionaire woman cop in CBI net - Aug 03, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Assets worth Rs.1 crore found with Bhopal municipal clerk - Dec 20, 2010
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- CBI arrests Punjab Police officer for graft (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Ramadoss, eight others get bail in graft case - Aug 04, 2012
- 2 year jail term for former Chandigarh official - May 24, 2010