Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Second Lead)January 12th, 2012 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) Over five years after Alistair Pereira, driving under the influence of alcohol, ran over 15 labourers sleeping on a Mumbai pavement killing seven of them, the Supreme Court Thursday upheld a Bombay High Court verdict awarding him a three-year jail sentence.
An apex court bench headed by Justice R.M. Lodha cancelled the bail bond of Pereira, the 25-year-old son of a rich businessman, and directed him to surrender.
Pereira, who holds an engineering diploma, was charged with running over 15 labourers sleeping on a pavement in Carter Road in suburban Bandra Nov 12, 2006, killing seven of them.
He was convicted by a sessions court April 13, 2007, which awarded him six months imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs.5 lakh that was to be paid to the victims of the accident.
Pereira challenged the conviction before the Bombay High Court, which Sep 6, 2007 confirmed his conviction and enhanced the sentence to three years. It also criticised Mumbai police for slackness in the investigation process and taking too much time to submit their report.
It was the high court verdict that Pereira had challenged in Supreme Court. He was granted bail at that time.
- Alistair Pereira surrenders in hit and run case - Jan 16, 2012
- Mumbai hit-and-run: Supreme Court upholds three-year jail term (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Mumbai hit-and-run: Pereira surrenders, sent home (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Mumbai hit-and-run: Alistair Pereira sent to jail - Jan 20, 2012
- Amit Shah questions hearings in judges' house - Nov 16, 2011
- Supreme Court releases jailed Kerala CPI-M leader - Nov 15, 2011
- John Abraham detained, out on bail in accident case (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Pune rape, murder convicts get death sentence - Mar 20, 2012
- Kasab, aides planned to return to Karachi, SC told - Feb 16, 2012
- Kasab challenges death penalty in Supreme Court - Jul 29, 2011
- Supreme Court grants bail to Binayak Sen - Apr 15, 2011
- Fahim Ansari's wife relieved at his acquittal - Aug 30, 2012
- Supreme Court reserves verdict in Red Fort shootout case (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- SC to hear Binayak Sen's bail plea on Monday - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: alistair pereira, apex, apex court, bail bond, bandra, bombay high court, carter road, convict, conviction, court bench, court verdict, driving under the influence, driving under the influence of alcohol, imprisonment, investigation process, jail sentence, lakh, pavement, rich businessman, sessions court