Three women perform father’s ‘pinda daan’ in GayaSeptember 26th, 2010 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 26 (IANS) Three Hindu women from Tamil Nadu Sunday broke age-old Hindu traditions by offering ‘pinda daan’ (salvation rituals) for their father in Bihar’s Gaya town.
Raj Lakshmi, Guni Sundari and Gomla Lakshmi performed the ritual at Vishnupad temple and on the banks of the Falgu river in Gaya, about 100 km from here.
“We ignored age-old Hindu traditions that only a male or a son can offer ‘pinda daan’ for father. We performed the ritual for our father who died a decade ago,” Raj Lakshmi, the eldest of the three sisters, told IANS.
She said it was decided to offer ‘pinda daan’ after she was informed by a Hindu priest in Tamil Nadu that goddess Sita along with Ram performed the ritual for her father-in-law Dashrath on the banks of the river Falgu in Gaya.
“We were inspired by goddess Sita’s example,” Raj Lakshmi said.
She said they have no brother and her mother’s dream was that ‘pinda daan’ of their father should be performed in Gaya.
According to Hindu beliefs, the soul wanders after death until ‘pinda daan’ is performed.
Thousands of Hindus from across the country converge at Gaya to perform the ritual on the banks of the Falgu river in Gaya during the 15-day period of the waning moon during the Hindu month of Ashwinare known as Pitrapaksh. The period began earlier this week.
- Hindu salvation ritual performed for Michael Jackson - Sep 14, 2009
- A Bihar man's 'salvation' service for souls - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Pinda daan' online? Never, say Hindu priests in Gaya - Jul 03, 2009
- Ayodhya verdict casts a shadow over Gaya pindadaan - Sep 23, 2010
- Praying for ancestors' salvation, Hindus head for Gaya - Sep 04, 2009
- Japanese woman performs 'pinda daan' at Gaya - Sep 11, 2009
- Shatrughan Sinha speaks out against online 'pinda daan' proposal - Sep 07, 2009
- He seeks salvation for faceless hundreds - Sep 25, 2011
- Bihar scraps online prayer for ancestors - Aug 07, 2009
- Hindu devotees perform 'pinda daan' despite cold - Jan 12, 2010
- MJ gets 'pind-daan' dedication in India - Sep 28, 2009
- Pind Daan venue, River Falgu in Gaya polluted - Dec 04, 2010
- Japanese woman performs Hindu ancestral worship rites in Gaya - Sep 11, 2009
- Over 500,000 pray to ancestors in Gaya - Sep 17, 2009
- Over 200,000 devotees pray for ancestors in Gaya - Sep 09, 2009
Tags: banks of the river, bihar, gaya, guni, hindu beliefs, hindu priest, hindu traditions, hindu women, hindus, lakshmi, patna, pinda, raj, rituals, sita, sundari, tamil nadu, three sisters, three women, waning moon