Three UP cops arrested for rape in outpostMay 28th, 2012 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 27 (IANS) Three constables of Uttar Pradesh Police were arrested Monday for letting a 17-year-old girl be raped in a police outpost and “not acting in accordance with law” to rescue her.
The incident took place in the Badayun district, 273 km from here.
The action followed a complaint by the girl that a man named Gopal raped her inside a police outpost at Lal Pul, while constable Sumit Malik waited out, not heeding her cries for help.
Badayun Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ratan Srivastava told IANS the three constables have been found guilty of not helping the victim and allowing her to be raped.
“Since the law is clear on taking a girl to a Mahila police station at night and keeping in mind all other circumstantial evidence, we have placed the three constables under suspension and they have been arrested,” Srivastava said.
The other two constables - Majid and Ausaaf - were accused of “picking up” the girl from near a pilgrimage spot - Badi Sarkaar ki Mazaar - where she and a middle-aged relative had come to pay their obeisance.
According to police, the girl and her middle-aged relative were found behind a make-shift shop in a compromising position and a mob that gathered there informed the police, taking objection to it.
Since the girl has alleged that the cops had sought Rs.20,000 as bribe to release them, a case of corruption has also been slapped against them, police said.
- Woman attempts self-immolation in Meerut - Aug 03, 2012
- Two held for molesting minors in Bengal - Sep 02, 2012
- Woman gangraped, dies in Ranchi hospital - Apr 23, 2012
- Cop, two others rape minor in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 23, 2011
- Drunk government staffer jumps to death in Lucknow - Nov 09, 2010
- Ghaziabad residents protest police apathy in rape case - Apr 19, 2012
- Haryana cop, four youths arrested in gang rape case - Jun 18, 2011
- Bombay HC grants actor Shiny Ahuja bail in rape case - Apr 27, 2011
- Man dies in police custody in Ghaziabad, two cops suspended - Jun 13, 2012
- Andhra police question CRPF men for rape - Nov 15, 2011
- Teenaged girl gang-raped in Pakistan - Oct 01, 2011
- Girl alleges rape by legislator's nephew, begins hunger strike (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Nine rapes in last two days in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 21, 2011
- High court upholds 12-year jail term for rapist cop - May 06, 2011
- Maharashtra Police officer gets bail in rape case - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: bribe, circumstantial evidence, constable, constables, cops, corruption, lal, malik, mob, obeisance, objection, old girl, pilgrimage, police outpost, police station, pul, rape, srivastava, sumit, superintendent