Three-tier security for surviving 26/11 terroristMarch 10th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 10 (IANS) The Arthur Road Jail here is being fortified with three security rings to keep Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the sole 26/11 terrorist captured alive, safe from potential attackers, Maharashtra Minister of State for Home Naseem Khan said Tuesday.
“A crack team of the Mumbai Police will guard the outer periphery of the jail while the ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police) will guard the precincts inside. The core area where Kasab is lodged will be guarded by the jail’s own security set-up,” Khan told IANS.
All parts of the jail will be monitored by cameras, some of which will be hidden. The images will be relayed to a central control room being manned by security officials, he added.
Barriers of different types, including reinforced steel-concrete walls that can resist bombs, grenades and rapid fire weapons, are being erected for the first time inside the 84-year-old jail, making it among the most secure prisons in the country, a police official said.
Kasab, along with nine other terrorists, embarked on a killing spree here Nov 26, 2008 that lasted nearly 60 hours. Over 170 people lost their lives in the carnage.
He is lodged in the famous “anda cell” - called so because it is oval in shape - which is usually reserved for the most notorious criminals.
- 'Expensive' ITBP discarded, Maharashtra to guard Kasab (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Maharashtra to deploy own security to guard Kasab - May 25, 2011
- Verdict out, now where will Kasab be kept? - May 06, 2010
- India's Most Wanted list goof-up: Another man found in Mumbai - May 19, 2011
- Kasab attacked security guard in jail, court told - Sep 28, 2010
- Abu Salem attacked in jail by Dawood henchman - Jul 24, 2010
- Bangalore, Pune blasts accused murdered in jail (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Jundal records statement before magistrate - Aug 12, 2012
- Kasab to be kept in Arthur Road prison - May 07, 2010
- Kasab trial opens amid media glare and tight security - Apr 15, 2009
- Maharashtra Home Minister Patil meets Kasab in Arthur Road Jail - Nov 23, 2010
- India's 50 Most Wanted hiding in Pakistan: Another found in Mumbai (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Jundal wants his confession to be recorded - Aug 10, 2012
- One injured in Mumbai jail gang-war - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Kasab appears resigned to his fate' - Nov 23, 2010