Three Swedes among Uttar Pradesh rail accident victimsJuly 11th, 2011 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 11 (IANS) Among the victims of the Kalka Mail derailment, that killed at least 63 passengers and left 249 injured, were three Swedish nationals, two of whom were found dead during the night-long rescue operation, officials said Monday.
“All three were Swedish nationals, travelling in a second class reserved coach that was completely smashed in the accident. While two died on the spot, their third companion was hospitalised in Kanpur with multiple injuries,” a district official told IANS over phone from accident site in Fatehpur district.
“While the two deceased Swedish nationals were identified as Victor and Wick, the survivor was Oscar,” Fatehpur’s Additional District Magistrate Anil Kumar Pathak said.
“A formal communication in this regard is being sent to the external affairs ministry, that will in turn inform the Swedish embassy,” he added.
Fourteen coaches of the Delhi-bound Howrah-Kalka Mail derailed at 12.20 p.m. when it was nearing the Malwan railway station in Fatehpur district, about 140 km from here.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has ordered an inquiry by the commissioner of railway safety to determine the exact cause of the accident. The train was running at 108 km an hour at the time when emergency brakes were applied and it jumped the rails.
- Toll in Uttar Pradesh accident 69, 23 yet to be identified - Jul 11, 2011
- Swedish survivor of train accident flown to New Delhi - Jul 13, 2011
- 15 trains cancelled after Uttar Pradesh accident - Jul 11, 2011
- Delhi-Howrah rail route restored - Jul 12, 2011
- Kalka Mail derailment: Jobs for kin of deceased - Jul 12, 2011
- Train derailment: Minister calls for compensation - Jul 10, 2011
- Special train leaves Kolkata for train accident site - Jul 10, 2011
- Rail link partially restored, probe starts - Aug 01, 2011
- Derailment toll goes up to two, services partly restored - Aug 02, 2011
- 35 dead, 150 injured as train derails in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2011
- Train accident: Anxious relatives throng Chandigarh railway station - Jul 10, 2011
- Opposition slams government over 'political vacuum' in rail ministry (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- New railway minister meets Kalka Mail accident victims - Jul 13, 2011
- 20 dead in Howrah-Kalka Express derailment - Jul 10, 2011
- Ignoring PM directive, Mukul Roy leaves for Junglemahal - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: accident victims, derailment, district magistrate, emergency brakes, exact cause, external affairs ministry, formal communication, kanpur, mail, manmohan, manmohan singh, pathak, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rail accident, railway safety, railway station, swedes, swedish embassy, swedish nationals