Three students killed, 35 injured in college building collapseSeptember 20th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 20 (IANS) Three students were killed and 35 others were injured when a portion of a college building collapsed near here Saturday.The parapet wall on the third floor of Narayana residential junior college for boys collapsed in the afternoon, killing three students, the police said. The mishap took place at Changicherla in neighbouring Ranga Reddy district, about 20 km from here.
The wall fell on the students during the lunch-break and some of them were died of drowning after falling into a septic tank. Police fear that some more students might have drowned. Rescue workers were still looking for bodies. The injured were shifted to a private hospital.
“A portion of the three-storeyed college building was still under construction and the heavy rains over last few days might have weakened the wall,” an official said.
As news of the mishap spread, anxious parents rushed to the college and were frantically searching for their wards. Some of them raised slogans against the college management and ransacked the office.
Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy directed the education department officials to conduct the probe and submit a report to him at the earliest.
- One student killed, 35 injured in college building collapse (Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- Portion of Rajasthan University's science wing collapses - Jul 05, 2012
- One killed in Mumbai balcony collapse - May 02, 2012
- Five injured in Kolkata building collapse - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan building collapse toll reaches 10 - Apr 14, 2012
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Seven killed in Rajasthan building collapses - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal building collapse: Owner booked - Jul 11, 2011
- Schoolchildren's death: Himachal to conduct surveys - Feb 08, 2011
- Building collapses in Chhattisgarh city, none hurt - Dec 14, 2010
- Five killed as college building collapses - Jul 25, 2011
- Five dead in Pakistan building collapse - Apr 13, 2012
- Himachal building collapse: Owner, builder held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- One killed, 18 injured in Rajasthan college roof collapse - Jan 22, 2011
- 10 injured as ceiling of building under construction collapses - Nov 22, 2010