Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in AmritsarJuly 4th, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Amritsar, July 3 (IANS) Nearly 11 kg of heroin, fake currency with a face value of Rs.5 lakh and arms were recovered from three smugglers arrested by police from the outskirts of Amritsar city, an official said Tuesday.
Officials of the Punjab Police’s special operations cell, which made the arrests, said that the seized heroin was worth Rs.55 crore in the international market.
Operations cell in charge S. Bhoopathi told the media that an Italian-made Beretta pistol and 38 cartridges were also recovered from the possession of the smugglers. Pakistani Sim cards were also found from them, he said.
He added that the three smugglers were apprehended by a police team late Monday night following a tip off that they were going to deliver a drugs consignment.
The three smugglers were held with one kg heroin, fake currency and arms.
He said that further interrogation revealed that they had hidden a big consignment of drugs near the border. On searching the spot near the India-Pakistan international border along with the Border Security Force (BSF) Tuesday, the team recovered another 10 kg heroin.
Genuine Indian currency worth Rs.2.25 lakh was also recovered from their possession, he said.
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Sharp hike in heroin smuggling across Punjab border - Aug 21, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- BSF kills intruder in Punjab, 17 kg heroin seized - Jan 18, 2012
- Fake currency of Rs.4.5 lakh face value seized in Punjab - Jan 20, 2011
- BSF recovers 23 kg heroin from Punjab border - Feb 04, 2012
- BSF kills Pakistani, finds heroin - Feb 23, 2012
- 12 kg heroin seized in Amritsar, 3 arrested - Aug 29, 2011
- BSF kills three smugglers on Indo-Pak border in Punjab - Mar 29, 2012
- Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in Punjab - Jan 11, 2011
- Drugs worth Rs.93 lakh seized, four heldin Delhi - Jul 30, 2011
- Eight arrested in Chandigarh with fake heroin - Aug 26, 2011
- One held with Rs.10.45 lakh in fake currency - Apr 16, 2011
- 15 kg heroin found near India-Pakistan border - Oct 04, 2011
- 10 kg heroin recovered in Amritsar, one arrested - Oct 30, 2009
Tags: amritsar, beretta, border security force, bsf, crore, currency worth, face value, fake currency, heroin, india pakistan, indian currency, international border, lakh, market operations, pakistan international, police team, punjab police, sim cards, smugglers, special operations