Three Rajasthan cops booked for ‘custody death’February 22nd, 2012 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Feb 21 (IANS) Three policemen in Rajasthan’s Bikaner city were Tuesday booked for the death of a Dalit youth after he was detained and allegedly tortured at a police station last week, officials said.
Four people, including two policemen, had sustained injuries Monday as villagers in Bikaner’s Chhattargarh town clashed with police while protesting the alleged torture of Dalit youth Kishan Meghwal in police station.
“Keeping in view the villagers’ protest, a head constable and two constables who were on duty at the time when Kishan was brought to the police station have been booked under section 302 (murder)of the Indian Penal Code. Further investigation is on,” said a police officer.
The official said four youths belonging to a Dalit community had been found creating nuisance at a public place in drunken condition Friday night.
“A police patrolling team tried to catch them, but three of them escaped. Only one of them, Noralal Meghwal, was arrested but released Saturday morning,” said the officer.
However, the villagers said that police had also detained Noralal’s brother Kishan Meghwal. Kishan was missing since Saturday morning.
Villagers alleged that Kishan was kept under illegal custody at the police station Friday night and tortured. They also claimed that Kishan was dead.
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Two arrested for beating doctor protesting girl's harassment - Sep 05, 2012
- Four suspended cops escape from custody - Jul 22, 2011
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Rajasthan cops beaten up by villagers demanding power - Aug 06, 2012
- Two cops arrested in Sopore custodial death case - Aug 07, 2011
- Five cops booked for murder - Mar 04, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Detention, assault of two men being probed, court told - Mar 06, 2012
- Man dies in police custody in Ghaziabad, two cops suspended - Jun 13, 2012
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Raped Dalit teen immolates herself over police inaction - Sep 03, 2010
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- Nine injured in police-villagers clash in central Assam - Feb 26, 2012