Three railway workers crushed to death in West BengalNovember 26th, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 26 (IANS) Three railway workers working on a railway track were Wednesday crushed to death by a speeding train near a railway station in West Bengal, an official said.The accident occurred near the Bali railway station in the Howrah district.
“A team of about 10 gangmen were repairing rail tracks near Bali station when a speeding express train suddenly entered the line. While seven were able to jump off the tracks in time, three men - Chandrashekhar Yadav, Ranji Goala and Dilip - were hit by the train,” Government Railway Police (GRP) official Debabrata Chakraborty told reporters.
“They died on the spot,” Chakraborty said.
The GRP official said the tracks were not closed, as the repair works were not major ones.
“Generally the tracks are not closed if the repairing works are not major ones. Two-three gangmen keep watch on the trains and warn others who work on the tracks. But Wednesday’s accident took place as two trains passed simultaneously and the gangmen were confused about the tracks they will pass through,” Chakraborty said.
All those killed were residents of Howrah.
- Four gangmen run over by train, three die - Jul 14, 2010
- Two killed after being hit by train - Sep 25, 2010
- Alert railway gangman prevents accident - Dec 23, 2011
- Train derails in Uttar Pradesh, all passengers safe - Apr 27, 2011
- Delhi bound Rajdhani express derails in Bengal - Jun 16, 2011
- Two railway officials crushed by train - Oct 20, 2011
- Rail link partially restored, probe starts - Aug 01, 2011
- New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani engine develops snag, derails - Aug 30, 2010
- Rail traffic disrupted as goods train derails - Oct 04, 2011
- Speeding train kills 1, injures 3 in Assam - Apr 17, 2012
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- 12 run over by train in Chhattisgarh - Oct 23, 2011
- Eight wagons of goods train derailed in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 15, 2010
- Derailment toll goes up to two, services partly restored - Aug 02, 2011
- Goods train derails, Delhi-Howrah traffic disrupted - Apr 21, 2010