Three quintal textbooks end up as scrap in Madhya PradeshJanuary 18th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 18 (IANS) In yet another instance of the rot in Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) (Education for All programme), textbooks meant for free distribution to students were seized from scrap dealer’s shop in Madhya Pradesh’s Shajapur district, police Sunday said. “A total of three quintal textbooks, to be distributed to the school students under the SSA, have been seized from a scrap seller at Akodia village in Shajapur district,” police said.
The books, which were meant to be distributed among the students of class one to eight free of cost under the programme, were seized when the stuff was being unloaded at the scrap dealer Chand Khan’s shop late Saturday night.
Similarly, 14 quintal of government guide books, which had to be distributed free by the District Institute of Educational Training (DIET), were seized from a vehicle last year when these were being carried to a scrap seller’s shop in Jabalpur town of the state.
Besides, a similar racket was unearthed in Betul early last year when many more books were recovered from a scrap storehouse.
A joint team of police and education department have initiated a probe.
- Teachers in Madhya Pradesh sell textbooks as scrap, suspended - Jan 19, 2009
- Principal booked for selling text-books as scrap - Dec 31, 2010
- 18,000 free textbooks seized in Bangladesh - Nov 15, 2011
- Over 17 percent hike in education budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Textbooks printed in India cost less: Bangladeshi official - Dec 25, 2010
- Girls re-enter schools in Rajouri - Mar 12, 2010
- Tripura not to follow new education policy yet - Jan 17, 2011
- Over 21 percent hike in RTE funds - Mar 16, 2012
- J-K Education Department conducts workshop for teachers - Dec 29, 2010
- Controversy over dress circular to Kerala teachers - Jul 03, 2012
- Sepahipara village in Tripura benefits from peace - Sep 16, 2010
- Tripura villages witness rapid development - Apr 19, 2011
- Explain delay in giving free school books to poor: Court (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Declining insurgency fosters development in rural areas of Nagaland - Sep 16, 2010
- Sarva Shikha Abhiyan main vehicle for education: Sibal - Dec 03, 2010