Three people lynched in BiharJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 2 (IANS) Bihar began the New Year on a violent note with three people being lynched in two separate incidents - two on charges of being thieves and one over a petty dispute. Two suspected thieves in their 30s were beaten to death by a mob at Mirganj in Gopalganj district.
The day before, on Thursday, a pavement stall holder was lynched in Ara, the district headquarters of Bhojpur, over a petty dispute during New Year celebrations, police said.
Last year, over four dozen cases of lynching were reported from the state.
In September 2007, 10 people from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district over an alleged theft. Later, a high-level probe found that the men were not thieves as the villagers had suspected.
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 07, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Five suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Jun 08, 2010
- Mob rule: two men beaten to death in Bihar (Lead) - May 23, 2009
- Driver burnt alive by angry mob in Bihar - Apr 26, 2012
- Four suspected robbers lynched in Bihar - Mar 04, 2009
- Four nomads lynched in Bihar - Aug 07, 2009
- 71 nabbed for lynching 10 men - Aug 04, 2011
- Rights panel seeks report on doctor's murder in Bihar jail - Jun 04, 2011
- Villagers beat three thieves to death - May 19, 2012
- Three suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Feb 17, 2008
- Two beaten to death in Bihar - Apr 24, 2008
- Mentally challenged woman lynched in Bihar - Aug 04, 2010