Three more bodies recovered from Yamuna after idol immersionOctober 10th, 2008 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Three more bodies were recovered from the Yamuna river Friday, a day after one person drowned and 13 people went missing while immersing idols of goddess Durga in Wazirpur and Timarpur areas of north Delhi, the police said.The bodies of Mandeep, 13, Sandeep, 25, and Ajay Kumar, 22, were fished out in the evening by personnel f Delhi Police and Delhi Fire Service from Timarpur.
While Mandeep hailed from Paharganj, Ajay was from Patel Nagar and Sandeep was a resident of Nangloi. They had all gone to participate in the idol immersion at the Yamuna, Delhi Fire Service officials said.
On Thursday, the city police fished out the body of 22-year-old Jitender from Wazirpur area, where eight others also were feared drowned.
All those who are now missing were from the same locality in Anand Parbat area in west Delhi and they had gone for idol immersion on a boat that reportedly capsized due to overloading, an official said.
“We are still searching for them. We will also check the Okhla barrage if required,” the police official added.
The families of the eight missing are distraught and praying for the safety of their kin.
“I don’t know where my husband has disappeared. He has not returned since the mishap. Everyone says he has drowned, but I am hopeful he will come back safe,” said Pinki, who was married to Kanhaiya six months ago.
The families of others missing have also been camping on the river banks, hoping that their relatives would somehow be found by rescue teams.
Witnesses said Thursday that devotees had turned up in thousands on the banks of the river and because of the excessive crowd, a minor stampede broke out in the areas in and around Timarpur, Burari and Saraswati Vihar and several people were pushed into deeper waters of the river.
- Eight more bodies recovered from Yamuna; toll 12 - Oct 11, 2008
- Three drown in Yamuna - Sep 11, 2011
- Three drown during Durga immersion, one missing - Oct 06, 2011
- Teenaged boy drowns during Durga idol immersion - Sep 28, 2009
- Two youths drown while immersing idols in Yamuna - Oct 18, 2010
- Two drowned in Agra - May 25, 2011
- Two persons drown in Ichamati river - Oct 07, 2011
- Body of youth recovered on Yamuna bank - Oct 08, 2011
- Two brothers drowned in Yamuna canal - Mar 15, 2011
- Two youths drown during Durga idol immersions - Oct 18, 2010
- Eco-friendly idols ensure pollution-free Dashami - Oct 17, 2010
- 16 drowned in Ganesh immersions across Andhra Pradesh - Sep 20, 2010
- Delhi engineer was murdered for ransom, body found - Apr 06, 2012
- Three boys drown in Yamuna, two bodies recovered - Oct 17, 2010
- Four girls drown while immersing idol - Jun 15, 2010