Three migrant workers killed in ManipurJune 12th, 2009 - 10:11 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, June 12 (IANS) Three migrant workers were killed and as many injured in an attack by militants in Manipur, police said Friday.
A group of heavily armed militants attacked the daily wage earners late Thursday outside the Agriculture University complex on the outskirts of capital Imphal.
“Three militants armed with sophisticated weapons entered a makeshift tent outside the University complex and asked all the non-Manipuri workers to come out. Six of them came out and the militants shot them from close range,” police spokesperson J. Singh said.
Three of them died on the spot and the remaining managed to escape, although all of them sustained bullet injuries.
“The victims, all of them from outside Manipur, were engaged by local contractors for construction work in the university campus,” the official said.
The condition of at least two of the injured was stated to be critical.
The immediate provocation for the attack was not known but of late there has been an attack on either Hindi speakers or workers from outside Manipur. At least 20 of them have been killed since February in separate incidents in the state.
There are some 19-odd militant groups active in Manipur, bordering Myanmar, with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Fear in Manipur after outsiders told to quite state - Sep 07, 2012
- Migrant workers flee Manipur after killings - Jun 15, 2009
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Six injured in Manipur grenade attack - Aug 06, 2010
- Manipur voters fearful after series of blasts - Jan 23, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Rebel group tells non-locals to quit Manipur - Mar 07, 2010
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Three militants killed in Manipur gun battles - Feb 06, 2010
- Meek government, belligerent rebels compound Manipur anarchy (News Analysis) - Dec 28, 2009
- Seven policemen killed in militant attack in Manipur - Apr 15, 2011
- Manipuris protest against bomb attacks - Jan 18, 2010
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012