Three men arrested for selling protected owlsJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Wayanad (Kerala), Jan 3 (IANS) Three men have been arrested for allegedly selling six specimens of a protected species of barn owls near here.”One man was arrested early Dec 25 while the other two were trapped when they were trying to sell six juvenile owls. The arrested man had informed about the trading of owls by the other two men,” Forest Range officer G. Pradeep told IANS.
He said a tribal man, who had caught and handed over the owls to the three men, is yet to be arrested.
“This variety of owl comes under Schedule 4 and smuggling it is an offence for which one can get up to three years’ imprisonment,” Pradeep added.
There are about three dozen owl species common in the Western Ghats forests of Kerala. Of these, 11 species were caught illegally and smuggled to Gujarat, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh last year to be sold as pets, forest department officials said. They added that an owl could fetch as much as Rs.800,000.
There is a a well-established smuggling chain, starting from those who trap the owls, pass them on to others and sell them to customers in north India, the officials added.
- Rampant smuggling of owls from Kerala to other parts of country - Nov 23, 2008
- Four held with snakes of endangered species - May 11, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh gives a call for public awareness on owls in country - Nov 02, 2010
- Three arms smugglers held - Mar 20, 2011
- Owl in a day's work: Cop's encounter with winged evidence - Feb 20, 2011
- Children used for smuggling across India-Bangladesh border - Apr 22, 2011
- Two held for smuggling rare animals - Sep 07, 2011
- Owls gain popularity as pets, courtesy Harry Potter - Nov 03, 2010
- Six die of cholera in Kerala - Jun 29, 2011
- Servant, four others, held for looting house - May 04, 2011
- Black magic behind illegal owl trade, says report - Nov 02, 2010
- Man arrested for trying to smuggle 50 snakes on a plane - Nov 17, 2011
- Greens hop along to catch Goa's frog poachers - Jun 10, 2011
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- 'I love Anna' - smugglers' code word - Aug 26, 2011