Three Maoists killed in police encounter in KarnatakaNovember 19th, 2008 - 6:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Nov 19 (IANS) Three Maoists were killed in an encounter with a Karnataka police team early Wednesday in the thick forests in Chikmagalur district, about 350 km from here, chief minister B. S. Yeddyurappa said.A commando of the state’s Anti-Naxal (Maoists) Force was also killed in the encounter that took place between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. at Mavina Holla village, about 100 km from Chikmagalur, he told reporters here.
Meanwhile in Chikmagalur, inspector general of police A.M. Prasad told reporters that a woman member of the Maoist group had managed to escape.
Maoists have a presence in Chikmagalur, a prominent coffee-growing district, and in the coastal districts of Udupi and Dakshina Kannada though there is no estimate of their number.
- Maoists kill policeman in Karnataka - Oct 09, 2011
- Karnataka's new chief minister is Yeddyurappa loyalist - Aug 03, 2011
- Karnataka put on high alert over year-end terror threat - Dec 27, 2010
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Karnataka says no to Rama Sene shutdown call (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Karnataka ignores Sri Rama Sene shutdown call - Feb 13, 2010
- Over 60 percent voting in Karnataka Lok Sabha bypoll (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Karnataka says Maoist menace almost eliminated - Feb 01, 2011
- Karnataka wants a commando training school - Aug 17, 2009
- Advani yatra: BJP non-committal on Yeddyurappa's role - Oct 13, 2011
- Double whammy for Karnataka BJP, from Advani and RSS (Lead) - Oct 22, 2011
- Two held in Bangalore, terror-Maoist nexus exposed - Aug 13, 2010
- Dull voting in Karnataka Lok Sabha bypoll - Mar 18, 2012
- Voting picks up in Karnataka Lok Sabha bypoll (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- With Yeddyurappa in jail, Advani roadshow to skip Bangalore - Oct 22, 2011