Three killed, three injured in accident in Delhi (Lead)March 5th, 2009 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 5 (IANS) Three people were killed and three others seriously injured when their car rammed into a truck early Thursday while engaged in a high-speed chase with another car, police said.
The Hyundai Verna car was being driven on the wrong side of the road at a very high speed when the driver lost control and rammed into the truck shortly after midnight in northwest Delhi, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer Delhi) Atul Katiyar told IANS.
Parvesh Tomar, 47, Naveen, 40, Kuldeep Singh, 42, Pramod Rana, 35, Lal Mani, 40, and Ajay Vishwas, 35 — all residents of Aakash Ganga apartments in Rohini Sector 24, were chasing a Maruti Alto car after an altercation with the occupants.
“The car was badly smashed due to the impact of the accident. Tomar, Naveen and Kuldeep died on the spot while the other three are battling for their lives in the Jaipur Golden Hospital. We are registering a case and further investigations are underway,” said Katiyar.
Police said Rana was behind the wheel of the Hyundai Verna but wasn’t drunk. “No alcohol was found in Pramod Rana’s blood. But medical reports show that one of the occupants was drunk,” said Katiyar.
According to the residents, the argument started when four-five drunk youth started creating nuisance outside the colony following the breaking down of their car.
“The youth were drunk and apparently were returning from some party when one of the tyres of the car got punctured outside our society. They were creating a lot of noise while changing the tyre,” said Ram Niwas Solanki, one of the residents.
“They used abusive and filthy language when we objected. Following which a heated argument broke out and then the youth suddenly attacked us,” Solanki added.
Hitesh, another resident, said: “Vishwas called up the police control room but before the police could arrive, the youth managed to flee in their car.”
According to the police, Singh, who was the president of the society, and Rana, a realtor, were not in the society at the time of incident.
But after hearing of the fight, six of them decided to chase the car and catch hold of the men.
The police said Rana was also carrying his licensed gun.
The injured, in their statement to the police, said they decided to chase the Alto Car after one of the occupants threatened to kill them.
“One of the injured said the occupants of the Alto car were drinking outside their apartments. When they objected, a heated altercation broke out between the occupants of the Alto car and the victims,” said a police source.
“Following the squabble, the residents apparently called the police control room. But the occupants of the Alto car threatened the victims with dire consequences and fled from the area. The occupants of the Alto car have not been traced,” the source added.
Katiyar said the police is verifying all angles of the case and the victims’ claim.
- Three killed, three injured in accident in Delhi - Mar 05, 2009
- Six injured in car accident - Oct 26, 2011
- Nine of family killed in Haryana accident (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Cop arrested for businessman's murder - Sep 25, 2011
- Youth beaten to death in West Delhi; 3 held - May 03, 2012
- Bookings for Hyundai's compact car Eon from Oct 1 - Sep 30, 2011
- Two killed in accident - Mar 14, 2012
- Teenager abducted, gangraped in Gurgaon - May 10, 2012
- Drunk, naked Moscow driver smashes 17 cars - Oct 31, 2011
- Five arrested for gangraping Gurgaon pub employee (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Naked driver hits 17 cars in Moscow - Oct 31, 2011
- Ghaziabad accident claims 7 lives - Aug 23, 2011
- Three killed in Delhi road accidents - Sep 04, 2010
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Five killed in Rajasthan accident - Apr 05, 2012