Three killed in Tripura cycloneMay 3rd, 2012 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, May 3 (IANS) Cyclonic storms accompanied by lightning continue to create havoc in Tripura, killing three more people Wednesday, taking the death toll to 15, an official said here Thursday.
“Sunil Chandra Das, a farmer from the Lankamura area near Agartala and Rana Ram Reang from Ampi in southern Tripura died after lightning struck them late Wednesday. Reang’s wife Malini Jamatia was also critically injured in the lightning,” said an official of the relief department.
Another middle-aged woman was killed in northern Tripura as the inclement weather conditions continue in the state.
With this, at least 15 people have died during this seasonal Nor’wester striking the state in the middle of April.
The annual recurring squalls accompanied by rains, thunder storms, lightning and hail storms have razed more than 5,000 houses and disrupted power supply and telecommunication across the northeastern state.
“Border Security Force troopers, civil defence workers and district officials are busy providing relief. Efforts are on to restore communication lines and power supplies,” the official said.
According to the official, over 60 people, injured during the storm in the past few days, are still being treated in state government hospitals, while two critically injured people have been shifted to a Kolkata hospital for treatment.
According to government estimates, the loss of property and standing crops is to the tune of around Rs.100 crore.
The government has sanctioned Rs.1,000 to Rs.10,000 as immediate relief assistance to each affected family.
The meteorological department in Agartala Thursday forecast spell of rains and cyclonic storms in the next 48 hours.
- Squalls, hailstorm kill seven in Tripura - Apr 10, 2012
- One killed, 175 injured as tornado hits Tripura - May 01, 2012
- Cyclonic storm kills three, damages 1,000 houses in Tripura - May 17, 2010
- Storm kills three, damages many houses in Tripura - Apr 08, 2012
- Squalls affect power, transport in Mizoram, Tripura - May 26, 2011
- Hailstorm damages houses, crops in northeast India - Mar 30, 2010
- Storm kills four, damages many houses in Tripura - Jun 04, 2010
- Cyclonic storm kills four in Tripura - Apr 22, 2010
- Cyclonic storm kills seven, damages 16,000 houses - Apr 01, 2010
- Three killed in Tripura rainstorm - Apr 29, 2012
- Power crisis grips northeast India: Tripura minister - May 10, 2012
- Onus on Mizoram to take back tribal refugees: Tripura - Feb 26, 2012
- Sixteen dead, 50,000 displaced as rains lash northeast (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2010
- Chidambaram asks Mizo refugees in Tripura to return home - Feb 18, 2012
- Chidambaram in Aizawl, to discuss Reang issue - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: agartala, ampi, border security force, civil defence, communication lines, cyclonic storms, district officials, government estimates, government hospitals, hail storms, inclement weather conditions, meteorological department, middle aged woman, northeastern state, relief assistance, relief efforts, squalls, standing crops, state border, thunder storms