Three killed in southwest China earthquakeAugust 22nd, 2008 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kunming (China), Aug 22 (Xinhua) At least three people have been killed and 100 injured when a 5.9-magnitude earthquake hit a border region in southwest China.Twenty people were seriously injured in the quake that struck at 8.24 p.m. Thursday in Yingjiang county, said Gu Zhongshou, a deputy with the publicity department of prefectural committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
At least 120,000 people had been forced to evacuate their homes, the ministry of civil affairs said.
Power and telecommunications networks were cut in the main districts of the county.
The epicentre was at 24.9 degrees north and 97.8 degrees east.
Earlier, a tremor measuring five on the Richter scale struck the county at 5.35 a.m. Wednesday.
More than 110 aftershocks of up to 3.6 on the Richter scale had been recorded till 6 p.m. Thursday.
Livelihoods of more than 14,000 people were affected and 3,400 others were evacuated after Wednesday’s tremor. No one had been reported injured.
The tremor destroyed six homes and damaged 4,056 other structures in the county. Most of the damaged structures were in a dangerous state.
The quake also damaged 17 school buildings, 28 dormitories and some communication facilities.
The Civil Affairs Ministry sent a special working group to assess the situation and offer assistance in the quake zone.
At least 70,000 people were killed May 12 in a devastating earthquake in the neighbouring province of Sichuan.
- 14 killed in China quake - Mar 10, 2011
- At least 19 dead, 168 injured injured after quake devastates SW China county - Mar 10, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- History says New York is earthquake prone - Mar 18, 2011
- Over 1,400 evacuated after quake hits China - Dec 02, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Earthquake jolts Kashmir - Jul 27, 2011
- 43 hurt as quake shakes Bali - Oct 13, 2011
- Tremors felt in Sri Lanka - Apr 11, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012