Three killed in Kashmir gas cylinder explosion (Third Lead)July 28th, 2012 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 28 (IANS) Three women tourists from Maharashtra were killed and four others were injured in Kashmir’s Anantnag district Saturday when a gas cylinder on their vehicle exploded, police said, clarifying it was not a grenade attack by militants.
“Three women tourists identified as Neesha Jeetwah, Nirmala Rathore and Indu Bhae, all belonging to Maharashtra, died while four others were injured in a gas cylinder explosion inside their Tempo Traveller vehicle in Bijbehara this (Saturday) afternoon,” police here said.
According to the police, the vehicle, bearing registration number JK02AP/0676, was on way from Srinagar to Pahalgam, when the blast occurred in the south Kashmir district.
While two women died on the spot, the third succumbed to her injuries at an hospital here.
Police had earlier said that separatist guerrillas hurled a grenade at the Tempo Traveller vehicle, resulting in the blast. They, however, later began forensic investigations to ascertain the actual nature of the explosion.
The last grenade attack on tourists by militants occurred in 2006.
- Two tourists killed in gas cylinder blast, not grenade: Police (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Injured tourist succumbs, death toll is four - Aug 01, 2012
- Two tourists killed in Kashmir grenade attack (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Two tourists killed in Kashmir grenade attack - Jul 28, 2012
- One killed, 24 injured in Kashmir car bomb blast (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Five injured in Kashmir blast (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- 1 killed, 15 injured in south Kashmir blast (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Blast at Kashmir scrap dealer's home, one killed - Jun 07, 2011
- Two dead, 14 hurt in Peshawar blast - Jul 01, 2011
- Hizbul commander behind south Kashmir car blast arrested - Apr 21, 2012
- Kashmir blast: Injured girl dies in hospital - Nov 22, 2010
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- Nine policemen wounded in Kashmir explosion - Jul 06, 2011
- Four cops injured in Kashmir blast - Jan 19, 2010
Tags: anantnag, bearing, cylinder explosion, forensic investigations, gas cylinder, grenade attack, indu, kashmir, rathore, registration number, saturday afternoon, separatist guerrillas, south kashmir, tempo traveller, three women, tourists, two women