Three killed in BSF firing near India-Bangladesh borderApril 18th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, April 18 (IANS) Three people, including a Bangladeshi national, died when Border Security Force (BSF) personnel opened fire while they were allegedly smuggling cattle through the Indo-Bangladesh border in West Bengal’s Dinhata area, the police said here. The firing took place Thursday night near the border area of Dinhata sub-division in Cooch Behar district, about 700 km from here.
“Three people, who were smuggling cattle through the Indo-Bangladesh border at Changrabanda, were killed in BSF firing,” West Bengal Inspector General (North Bengal) R.J.S. Nawla told IANS.
He said the BSF personnel opened fire when the smugglers tried to escape.
BSF Director General A.K. Mitra said the identities of the three are yet to be ascertained.
“Some gadgets to cut the barbed wires were also recovered from the spot,” he said.
According to BSF sources, about 200,000 cattle head are smuggled out to Bangladesh every year from India.
“We recovered about 113,000 cattle head last year while they were being smuggled. These cattle head are generally brought from north Indian states like Haryana and Punjab,” Mitra said.
India shares a 4,095 km-long border with Bangladesh, including the longest in West Bengal at 2,216-km, part of which is porous, riverine and unfenced, and prone to frequent infiltration and skirmishes.
- Three killed in BSF firing in West Bengal - Apr 18, 2008
- Deaths on India-Bangladesh border down: Chidambaram - Jul 06, 2012
- Choppers, anti-mine vehicles to aid BSF troopers - Jan 18, 2011
- BSF trooper dies three days after Bangladeshis' attack - Feb 07, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
- India-Bangladesh border coordination conference from Monday - Mar 06, 2010
- India to erect single row fence along Bangladesh border - Sep 18, 2012
- First ever women contingent of BSF deployed on Indo-Bangladesh border - Oct 23, 2009
- PM's Bangladesh visit to resolve outstanding issues: BSF - Mar 03, 2011
- BSF troopers suspended for torture, inquiry on - Jan 19, 2012
- Indo-Bangladesh border talks begin - Mar 08, 2010
- River erosion upsets BSF at India-Bangladesh border - May 08, 2012
- Hand over Indian separatists, BSF tells Bangladesh - Nov 08, 2009
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- BSF killed 2 Bangladeshi cattle traders, says Dhaka - Aug 17, 2010