Three killed in blast in Guwahati (Lead)January 9th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 9 (IANS) At least three people were killed and 10 others injured in a powerful explosion Friday evening at a crowded marketplace in Guwahati, the main city in India’s restive northeastern state of Assam, officials said.A police spokesman said the blast took place near the Maligaon railway crossing market in Guwahati.
“According to preliminary reports three people were killed and about 10 more injured, although the exact casualty figures would be known later,” a senior police official said.
According to witnesses and the police, the bomb was strapped to a bicycle parked between two stationary vehicles.
“The two cars actually prevented a big casualty. A number of cars were damaged in the explosion,” the official said.
The injured were shifted to local hospitals with multiple injuries.
“It appears to be a powerful blast although we cannot provide any details at this moment,” the official said.
No rebel group has claimed responsibility for Friday’s blast.
Guwahati on New Years day witnessed three serial explosions killing six people and wounding 50 more. Police blamed the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) for the Jan 1 bombings.
On Thursday, police and army soldiers gunned down 20-year-old Pranjal Deka, believed to be the main suspect in the Jan 1 bombings. Deka’s photographs were earlier released by police blaming him to be the main accused in the explosions.
On Oct 30, nine explosions rocked Assam, including three in Guwahati, killing 95 people and wounding 300 more.
Authorities blamed the ULFA and the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) in collaboration with the Bangladesh based Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islamui (HUJI) for the Oct 30 serial explosions.
- Three killed in Guwahati blast, ULFA hand suspected (Second lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- Main accused in Jan 1 Guwahati blasts killed (Lead) - Jan 08, 2009
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- One killed, six hurt in Assam rail track blast - Jul 08, 2010
- Rail track blast kills one in Assam, injures seven (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- 50 injured as passenger train bombed in Assam (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Six killed in Guwahati blast (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Assam rail track blast kills one, injures seven (Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Three injured in Assam blast - Jan 02, 2012
- ULFA hiring students to trigger blasts in Assam - Jul 21, 2009
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Cheer to anger - Mood changes over ULFA chairman's release - Jan 04, 2011