Three killed as typhoon hits China (Lead)September 24th, 2008 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou (China), Sep 24 (Xinhua) Three people were killed as typhoon Hagupit hit south China’s Guangdong province early Wednesday, authorities said.The typhoon, the 14th strong typhoon of the year, enveloped Dianbai county in the city of Maoming at 6.45 a.m. with windspeed of 200 km an hour, the provincial meteorological bureau said.
Nearly five million people in Maoming, Yangjiang, Zhuhai and Jiangmen cities were affected and 7,915 houses had collapsed, officials said.
A provincial official said that 180,260 hectares of agricultural land have been affected and 38,980 hectares of standing crops destroyed.
- 12 die in China hailstorm - Apr 18, 2011
- Hailstones, thundershowers leave 12 dead in China - Apr 17, 2011
- China's Guangdong province bans barbeque stalls in 11 cities ahead of Asian Games - Oct 26, 2010
- 17 die in China hailstorm (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Typhoon Fanapi kills 54 in China - Sep 23, 2010
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- Typhoon leads to blockage in China rivers - Oct 01, 2010
- China braces for typhoon Kai-Tak - Aug 17, 2012
- China to create world's largest mega city with 42 million people - Jan 25, 2011
- Kidnapper holding girl shot dead - Aug 12, 2012
- Typhoon Kai-Tak affects one mn people in China - Aug 19, 2012
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Typhoon-triggered storms kill 14 in China - Aug 07, 2012
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011