Three killed, 11 missing after Afghan attackApril 26th, 2012 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 26 (IANS) At least three policemen were killed and 11 reported missing after a check post in Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province was attacked by militants, said an official Thursday.
“An unknown number of militants attacked a police check post in Basand area of Wardoj district Wednesday night, triggering a gunfight that left three policemen dead,” reported Xinhua citing the anonymous official.
The 11 missing police personnel may have been kidnapped by militants, he said.
“A search and cleanup operation has been launched in the area and details will be released to media afterwards,” said Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai, a police spokesman in the region.
Taliban militants claimed responsibility for the incident.
Taliban fighters had launched an attack on a police check point in Badakhshan, killing several policemen and capturing 20 others, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told local media via cellphone.
- Five policemen killed in Afghan blast - Sep 02, 2012
- 25 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- 11 policemen, district governor killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2011
- Taliban killed in failed bombing, five injured - Dec 02, 2011
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Seven killed in Kabul attack (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 95 killed in Afghan poll violence (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's aide shot dead in attack - Jul 18, 2011
- NATO confirms killing of Taliban Deputy Governor in Afghanistan - Jan 03, 2011