Three injured in freak railway mishap near MumbaiJune 26th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 26 (IANS) In a freak accident, three passengers of a local train in Thane in Maharashtra were injured Tuesday after being hit by broken pieces of pantograph, the engine’s device drawing power from overhead lines, of another train.
The accident took place on the Central Railway line when the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST)-Karjat local’s pantograph broke and its pieces fell on passengers of Karjat-CST local train, who were standing near its exit door, a Central Railway official told IANS.
The accident took place near Vangani railway station in Thane district, around 70 km from Mumbai.
Among the three injured, one passenger is critical, hospital sources said.
The train services on the line were resumed after nearly three hours as a section of the railway tracks for outstation trains was also affected. Most outstation trains were diverted to other routes.
Those injured have been identified as Vilas Duttu, 27, Ananta Karale, 20, and Abdul Rahim Dastagir, 23.
A pantograph is a hinged electric-rod device that draws electric current from overhead lines for trains or trams.
- One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- 10 injured as Vidarbha Express rams into derailed local train - Jul 20, 2012
- Signal cabin fire hits Central Railway services - Apr 18, 2012
- One killed in Maharashtra train accident, probe ordered - Jul 20, 2012
- Commuters block rail traffic to protest accidents - Nov 21, 2010
- Probe ordered into disruption of Delhi Metro services - Nov 20, 2010
- Train derails in Mumbai, two injured - Nov 13, 2009
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Central Railway fire halts Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Two killed, 11 injured as water pipeline crashes on train (Fourth Lead) - Oct 23, 2009
- Mumbai limps on second day after railway fire - Apr 19, 2012
- Two killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train - Apr 19, 2012
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Mumbaikars cheer Mamata's railway generosity - Feb 24, 2010
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: abdul rahim, broken pieces, central railway, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, drawing power, freak accident, hospital sources, karjat, local train, mishap, mumbai, overhead lines, railway line, railway official, railway station, thane, train services, trains, trams, vilas