Three injured as fire extinguisher explodes in eateryDecember 31st, 2011 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 31 (IANS) Three people were injured, one of them critically, after a fire extinguisher exploded in a restaurant’s kitchen in the bustling Park Street area of the city, police said Saturday.
“Three people were injured after a fire extinguisher exploded inside the kitchen of a restaurant. One of the injured was seriously injured and admitted to the SSKM Hospital. The other two have been discharged after first aid,” Deputy Commissioner (South) D.P. Singh said.
The “One Step Up” restaurant is located below the Stephen Court, where a blaze in March last year killed 43 people and gutted parts of the British era building.
The explosion took place around 3.15 in the afternoon when the restaurant was full of visitors. Following the blast, panic spread and a stampede was caused as people rushed to get out of the building.
Police and fire services officers were investigating the matter and also interrogated the manager of the eatery.
“Only after through inspection and proper interrogation, we will be able to say whether the restaurant is at fault or not and under what offence they can be booked,” Singh added.
The freak accident has dented the festivity as the area, where a number of restaurants and food joints are located, is the hub of New Year celebrations annually.
- Kolkata hospital blaze kills 90, India mourns - Dec 10, 2011
- Blaze in Delhi eatery - Oct 26, 2011
- Two Indian food vans set on fire in Australia - Jul 19, 2010
- Country's major fire disasters - Dec 09, 2011
- Inferno in Kolkata's Park Street kills six, injures 20 (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2010
- Major fire on 10th floor of South Kolkata building (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Inferno in Kolkata's Park Street kills two, injures many (Third Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- Two die in Russia shopping mall fire - Jan 23, 2011
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- 73 killed, 1,000 hurt in Egypt football stadium violence (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Chandni Chowk fire extinguished, four hurt (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Seven die in fire near Hyderabad - Feb 18, 2012
- Factory gutted in Kolkata - Apr 01, 2012
- Karachi factory had several emergency exits, all locked - Sep 13, 2012
- 10 dead in China mall fire - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: blaze, city police, deputy commissioner, explosion, festivity, fire extinguisher, fire services, first aid, food joints, freak accident, hub, interrogation, kolkata, new year, new year celebrations, restaurants, stampede