Three injured as fire extinguisher explodes in eatery

December 31st, 2011 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Dec 31 (IANS) Three people were injured, one of them critically, after a fire extinguisher exploded in a restaurant’s kitchen in the bustling Park Street area of the city, police said Saturday.

“Three people were injured after a fire extinguisher exploded inside the kitchen of a restaurant. One of the injured was seriously injured and admitted to the SSKM Hospital. The other two have been discharged after first aid,” Deputy Commissioner (South) D.P. Singh said.

The “One Step Up” restaurant is located below the Stephen Court, where a blaze in March last year killed 43 people and gutted parts of the British era building.

The explosion took place around 3.15 in the afternoon when the restaurant was full of visitors. Following the blast, panic spread and a stampede was caused as people rushed to get out of the building.

Police and fire services officers were investigating the matter and also interrogated the manager of the eatery.

“Only after through inspection and proper interrogation, we will be able to say whether the restaurant is at fault or not and under what offence they can be booked,” Singh added.

The freak accident has dented the festivity as the area, where a number of restaurants and food joints are located, is the hub of New Year celebrations annually.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe